What now after high school ?

9 Replies

I’m four months out of high school 19 years old and I finally decided what I wanna do. I want to get in to real estate and first deal with rental property.

Where can I start and what can I do now financially that’ll help me in the future?

@Oscar Flores  LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN....AND NEVER STOP LEARNING! Get a job that will allow you to save some money and/or find a partner that will be willing to work with you.

Get some financial knowledge. Learn about money. Your high schools don't teach how money works. Got get a 2 year associates in accounting.
Read up on Rich Dad/Poor Dad and the different books by Robert Kiyosaki. If you do this, you will automatically get in to the real estate investing, as you'll get hungry for ways to make money work for you rather than you working for money.

You are young and willing to learn.  Many people don't start until much later in life.  Start by absorbing all the knowledge you can get your hands on.  Tons of free information here on BP.  Podcasts, blogs, and the forums.  Don't forget to checkout the local real estate meetups in your area.

If you can't find a job in a field related to real estate don't sweat it.  Start saving up for that first property.  If I was your age and starting over I would work 2 jobs to save for a downpayment twice as fast.  Working 2 jobs with an infant at home was incredibly stressful, but I made it work.

@Oscar Flores I'd go to a local meet up and start learning from people that are successful. Ask to work for them however you can so you can learn first hand about deals. Save as much as you can so you're preparing yourself financially to take the leap once you know enough! 

@Oscar Flores Because there are so many moving parts to REI and the goal is to make money not lose money. Learn about the city that you plan to invest in, learn how to estimate repairs, learn what it takes to be a landlord....The list goes on. As far as time, that depends on your flexibility. I read as much as I can and when I can't I try to listen to as many podcast as I can.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here