New Rental Opportunity - Help me analyze this deal - Ohio

6 Replies

I have some rentals with a couple partners but want to get some on my own also.  I have flipped three houses in the past two years and now want some more passive income.  This 3 unit property consists of a small church turned into a duplex and a small pastor house in the rear of the property.  Let me know what you think about this deal.

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

Hey Daniel. I'd say you should probably add in some lawn care expense. Your water is probably a bit low depending on the number of bedrooms. I'm surprised you're getting this for $145,000. I would check out the area and make sure that it's a solid long term play. Numbers look good though.

Originally posted by @Daniel Miller :

I have some rentals with a couple partners but want to get some on my own also.  I have flipped three houses in the past two years and now want some more passive income.  This 3 unit property consists of a small church turned into a duplex and a small pastor house in the rear of the property.  Let me know what you think about this deal.

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

Seems to be legit. One thing is zoning, is it zoned as a 3 unit? Or is it zoned as a non-profit building type. This is a big deal when it comes to financing. I have a 3 unit in Columbus OH that was zoned as a 2 unit. It took me 6 months and $20k extra to finally refinance it. Something to consider.

@Daniel Miller , what is the condition of the property?  

Your Capex budget is probably good for the next 3-5 yrs if most everything is new. If things have age on them, or you anticipate holding longer, your capex is short.

Maintenance feels light for 10% vacancy, which implies you are turning every unit every year, with 1.5 months down between tenants.  I have basically $1,000+ per turn on my rentals, granted they are all 4-5 yr tenants, so more wear and tear.  Your budget has about $500/turn/unit, which exhausts your annual repair budget, so anything else going wrong will be in addition to that.