• New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
College House Hacking

Jt Marting
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Apr 7 2021, 15:42

I would like to purchase a house hack prior to attending FSU in the fall if the opportunity presents itself. When looking at the market near campus and doing some analysis, it seems as if the rents by the bedroom are so low it wouldn't really be a profitable strategy. Does anyone have any thoughts? I really want to just get my first property but it doesn't seem like the area would really make this feasible. Thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Charles Kennedy
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 7 2021, 16:07

@Jt Marting

Hey JT. I own 4 properties totaling 8 units around FSU and can assume you there are plenty of cash flowing rentals. Tell me about how you are analyzing deals? The current ones I see on Zillow I’m not jumping for, but I bet they are still ok deals. I’d look to the west and southwest of campus.

User Stats

Votes
Jt Marting
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 7 2021, 16:35

@Charles Kennedy

Thanks for the quick response. I’m looking to the west of campus mainly, within a mile or so (walking distance) of the stadium.

I’m accounting for around $400 per bedroom, 7% vacancy, 10% management, 6% capex, 6% maintenance, property taxes, insurance, utilities (I’d assume the landlord has to pay for this in bedroom rentals), $60 for insurance, $50 for trash, $50 for lawn mowing, and $50 for other expenses.

Am I over estimating on costs or something?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Charles Kennedy
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 7 2021, 16:59

JT - here are my thoughts.

Rents - don't plug in $400/bed every time. Use your judgement on a property by property case, but I'd say that's a good baseline.

Vacancy - I'd assume less, I generally assume 4.16%, which is 1/24. I assume 2 weeks of downtime when I turnover units, although I only generally have 1. I'm mostly 100% leased, but you should account for it.

Mgmt - Probably fair, but it could actually be much more when they take leasing fees. I self manage and pay someone to show my units and never do any repairs myself as I'm not local. You should self manage if you are house hacking, but tell them your parents own it and you are just managing it. I wouldn't want my college roommates (where everyone is broke) to know I own the house and am making cash flow every month.

CAPEX - I always think doing this as a % is a mistake. Total the cost of the roof, HVAC, and water heater and divide it by the number of useful years remaining. Make that $/month your lowest for CAPEX.

Maintenance - Almost all of my maintenance is driven by AC and plumbing repairs with the occasional other items. Having a newer HVAC will solve a lot of those problems and I'd recommend replacing toilets and supply lines up front to reduce these. I generally put maintenance and repairs at 10% minimum. 

Insurance - My duplex is at $1,329/year (3/1 and 2/1), my single family (3/1) is $915/year. Both are 1950s construction. Newer built will be less. 

Utilities - These should be paid by the tenant. Your roommates should split this with you.

Lawn care and trash should one in the same and I'd estimate about $75/month ($30-$40 per service, twice a month). Your lawn guy should also pick up small trash around the property if he's good. I had to fire my previous one who was terrible about service and am so happy I did.

Other - I'd add a recurring pest control, which is about $85/3months so a little less than $30/month.

You should self manage and self pest control while you live there. I also add in cleaning fees to my leases where a portion of the security deposit is non-refundable to help reduce the cost of turnover, which is generally captured in my R+M (as I do pay a professional cleaner to come after each turnover).

User Stats

Votes
Jt Marting
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 7 2021, 17:24

@Charles Kennedy

Wow. Thanks for going so in depth! I’ll have my RE License by the time I move to FL, so that should definitely help with getting the property leased, but my main concern is the turnover with college bedroom rentals and the summer vacancy. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it would make more sense to try and find a multi family and rent out the other units to make everything easier? Also that was a good idea about telling them my parents owned it. I thought it would be worth the $100-200 a month to not piss off my collegiate roommates, but that strategy seems to simplify it.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Kennedy
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 7 2021, 17:41

Turnover is a cost in the form of vacancy, and cleaning. There are repairs you will have to make that aren't the tenants fault that you cannot deduct from the security deposit. It's not big. 

On multi-family vs. single family I wouldn't worry about those details. I'd just look for a deal that cash flows well and pull the trigger. I'd ideally like to buy multi-family, but I bought another single family earlier this year because the returns made sense.

User Stats

Votes
David Boley
  • Overseas
Votes |
  • Overseas
Replied Apr 19 2021, 20:41

Great thread. Thanks, @Jt Marting for starting it and for the advice from @Charles Kennedy. I'm also looking into the Tallahassee area for a rental property and was considering around the university. I'd be doing it from afar as I don't live there currently. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jt Marting
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 23 2021, 08:40

@David Boley

What made you pick tallahassee?

User Stats

Votes
Ifeanyi Umezurike
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Apr 25 2021, 15:07

This was a great thread I stumbled upon. @jt marting and @charles Kennedy thank you, guys. @david Boley good luck and let me know if you need any help.

User Stats

Votes
Yu Liu
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Replied Apr 25 2021, 22:07

Thanks so much for the wealth of information you just supplied @Charles Kennedy

@Jt Marting I just bought my first rental property and I think you can definitely find cash flowing properties especially around the jackson bluff areas and western FSU areas. The properties are kind of old and beat up but they rent a 4 bed/2 ba for around $1200-$1600 in that area so assuming you find a 4/2 and live in one and rent the other 3 where they pay you $400 per room a month, assuming you bought it for $150K or around that ball park, you would still be essentially living free with maybe some amount extra in cash flow. Please do your due diligence but it is very possible to find cash flowing properties in that market and you're still young. The amount of knowledge and experience you can gain from this will help tremendously later on. Feel free to connect and let me know any other questions you might have

User Stats

Votes
Jt Marting
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 12 2021, 18:52

@Yu Liu

Thanks for reaching out! I’d love to know what got you interested in tallahassee and what your expenses look like so I can get an accurate representation!

User Stats

Votes
Yu Liu
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Replied May 12 2021, 19:28

@Jt Marting I’m actually from the area so I wanted to invest in my backyard (locally) first to mitigate the risks and have more control. My situation is a little different so idk if it will help that much but I bought a duplex, $2500 income and mortgage is around $1500, I cover lawn care so that’s $100 but everything else is income ($900) but you should consider a percentage for vacancy, repairs, capex

User Stats

Votes
David Boley
  • Overseas
Votes |
  • Overseas
Replied Feb 5 2022, 20:17
Originally posted by @Jt Marting:

@David Boley

What made you pick tallahassee?

Used to live in the area and may go back there some day.

User Stats

Votes
Chrissy Severance
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gainesville Fl.
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gainesville Fl.
Replied May 20 2022, 07:54

@Jt Marting I know of 2 triplex units and a duplex that would work

User Stats

Votes
Jt Marting
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 2 2022, 18:12
Quote from @Chrissy Severance:

@Jt Marting I know of 2 triplex units and a duplex that would work

Sorry for the late reply! I totally understand if the units are gone, but would at least love to see how you ran your numbers!