Skip to content
Real Estate News & Current Events

User Stats

Votes

NO CASH FLOW IS SAN DIEGO

Posted Jun 18 2022, 20:23

I RAN THE NUMBER FOR A DUPLEX IN SAN DIEGO AND OF COURSE IT DOES NOT CASH FLOW, WHEN IT DOES NOT CASH FLOW DO YOU GUYS PURCHASE FOR APPRECIATION? DO YOU WAIT FOR THE MARKET TO GO DOWN? I WANT TO INVEST BUT THINK I MISSED THE BUS IN SAN DIEGO :-)

User Stats

Votes
Dan Heuschele
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jun 18 2022, 21:43

I agree most properties in San Diego do not have positive initial cash flow.  

Having stated this, I have never purchased a negative cash flow property and I use what most people believe are very conservative expense projections. However I would not be adverse to a initially negative cash flow property if it was either noticeably below market value or had a decent/good value add. All of our purchases in the last decade were either below market or had a decent/good value add (a couple/few had both). I would not purchase a investment property with negative initial cash flow, at market value without a value add. Why would I? I can find a better investment property. The property you describe is a dime a dozen (nothing special and available on the MLS virtually every day). By the way our last purchase had a market rent to purchase ratio over 1%. I recognize it was a rare find, but it shows they do exist in San Diego area.

Higher unit count (quads) typically have better initial cash flow than smaller unit counts.  Value adds usually have better initial cash flow than turn key properties.  Off market properties usually are value add properties or have some risk item (very rare to see turn key property with no risk items available off market) and can present opportunities. 

Note I consistently use initial cash flow.  This is because actual cash flow over a long hold has a poor correlation with initial cash flow.  This is because the RE market is efficient.  Many factors go into price.  One of the biggest factors is expected appreciation (both property and rent).  My primary San Diego metro market had average rent increase last year over 20% average according to apartmentlist.com. A non-owner occupied duplex will fall under state rent control so the rent increase would be capped at 10% for this year for existing tenants.

Would I wait for the market to decline?   Not if the decline is a result of rising rates which is what we are currently experiencing.  Assuming you plan to finance the property, the cash flow will not improve if price goes down but due to rising rates your payment has increased.  I personally do not expect declines beyond impact from rising rates in San Diego because 1) there is a housing shortage (supply/demand) 2) the area is geographically constrained by ocean, Mexico, Camp Pendleton, and quick harsh environment going east 3) climate is near best in nation 4) diverse good employment. . A long way to state I would not recommend you wait.  

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied Jun 20 2022, 22:18
You have to invest for appreciation around here (I'm in LA, same situation). The appreciation can come in two forms: property value, and in the rents. Eventually rents should increase enough to start switching the cash flow dynamic, and hopefully you end up with enough equity in the property to warrant a solid return. But both of those are speculative, so you need to exercise caution in what you buy. Never mind you'll have to cover the negative cash flow for some numbers of years waiting on it, so be conservative there too.

The alternative a lot of SoCal folks do is invest out-of-state if they aren't comfortable banking on appreciation.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Manny Vasquez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orange County
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orange County
Replied Jun 20 2022, 22:34

@Christina Rodrigues Have you tried running the numbers by house-hacking the duplex?  Maybe this helps?  I also own property in San Diego ( I bought all the way back in 2002) and at first I barely cash-flowed, as a matter of fact, after factoring in gas, time and other maintenance projects I think I was either breaking even or in the red.  What helped me was factoring was depreciation and other tax-hacks that my CPA recommended.   But I held on to the property and now its a cash flowing nicely.  Be patient and try different tactics, remember, instead of waiting to buy real estate, buy real estate and wait!

User Stats

Votes
Klint Ruud
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jun 21 2022, 14:23

Maybe consider buying in an alternative market? Nashville is a great place to buy a rental whether it is STR or LTR.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 21 2022, 17:49

In our market (the highest appreciation area nationwide), there's only two profitable businesses: BRRR and appreciation.

The appreciation is so good I'd rather there's no tenant and just wait to sell for the next 5 years. At least, if I can give 'cheaper' rent to my family member to stay there, I would rather do that than rent it with FMV to random folks that may damage the property.