Real Estate News & Current Events

User Stats

Votes
Wilson Rodriguez
Votes |
Sell or Keep Rental Property??

Wilson Rodriguez
Posted Jul 10 2020, 09:00

Ok, getting right down to the deets. I currently own and rent my condo unit that I've had for the last 4.5 years. 1st floor, 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 car garage in an 8 unit building. 

I owe $82k and pay $692 monthly (taxes and interest included) plus $200 for condo fees which brings us to about $992 (we're not worrying about insurance here). Management fee is $150 a month so we're at $1142 plus it's apparently $1,000 to bring in a new tenant (I know right).

I am currently renting the property out for $1395 so I'm pretty much netting $250/month which has just been sitting in a separate account. 

$1395/month rental income

$1142/month mortgage/taxes/management fees/interest/HOA 

250/month net

I had the bank appraise the property about two years ago so I could get rid of PMI. The total on that came back to about $162k-ish. I purchased the property for $98k with only putting $5k up front. I spoke to my realtor and almost put it on the market for $167k. Hypothetically if it sold for that amount I would net about $157k after realtor fees.

Sell property = $75k pre tax

Question time. Is it a better decision to sit on the property and possibly delegate management to my father to lower costs (he is a handy man and can oversee the property while making any minor repairs) or sell the property with intentions of throwing that profit into another property to avoid capital gains tax. Flip side I could keep it and try to pull out a home equity loan to purchase another property?? I'm stuck and would appreciate some advice. 

Loading replies...