• Real Estate Agent
  • Westwood, NJ
Votes |
This is Not the Real Estate Environment for Rookie Investors

Kevin Hill
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westwood, NJ
Posted Jul 27 2020, 10:24

I don't want to announce the sky is falling and be a Debbie Downer, but in my opinion, now is NOT the time to be investing in real estate for rookie investors, especially flips. I keep seeing a lot of posts from newbie investors about investing in their first deal and I'm worried for them. I am in North Jersey (Bergen County) and this is what I am seeing in my area.

COVID-19 has only decreased available housing inventory during the pandemic causing a spike to home prices and demand. I keep reading about the residents who want to escape from New York City and New Jersey is one destination for them. Houses are routinely gone within a week now with multiple offers at full or over the list price. This is not a good time for an investor (especially one without experiences in different economic cycles). This is not sustainable with the high rate of unemployment, mortgage delinquencies, homeowners going into forbearance, Sheriff foreclosure sales currently on hold to at least October now, increased requirements for mortgage qualifications, small businesses going out of business, and a likelihood that children will be at home again in the fall for distance learning, restricting parents' ability to work.

Overpaying for the property, delays in securing contractors/finishing the renovation, towns slow in completing Certificate of Occupancy/permit inspections, delays on getting the title work done, etc in a market that could turn on a dime is a recipe for disaster. Yout can't do a BRRR strategy if you don't have any equity after the flip is complete.

Be very careful out there. Get a mentor, hire an agent who is really looking out for you and not just trying to close a sale, and be patient. The great deals will be coming once we enter into a down cycle. Real estate is cyclical and cycles typically run 7-10 years and we are at about year 9 in North Jersey. Down cycles don't last as long, so pile your cash and be ready to strike when the good buying opportunities are here again!

Escape From New Jersey Logo

Loading replies...