Coronavirus and Tenant

4 Replies

So, this is a new scenario to everyone and trying to be as emphatic to the situation.  I have a tenant whos lease is up at the end of April 2020.  We are wanting to put it on the market today.  My PM went to the house to talk with the tenant and was not able to.  Seems the tenant has changed his number also.  I do not know what to do when the lease is up and he is still there and NOT paying rent.  Given the whole covid-19 scenario, I do not know what my rights are as a landlord.  I do want to try to work with this guy and maybe help him with the rent if need be, the problem is, he is cut off all lines of communication with us.  I know I can forgo my mortgage which is great, but I may have a squatter in the house and not sure how to get him out or work with him.  Def want to get this house re-rented after he leaves and show the house during the month of April, but it is a safe presumption that this guy wont even let anyone in to view it...and the house is probably dirty as heck.

I live in Texas and my house is in San Antonio. 

Start NOW. Send him an email, letter, notice on the door. Tell him to call you immediately. Or ask the PM to do that. They dont get paid if there is no rent, right?? I would think that it is in their best interest to have a paying tenant.

You can also let them know that there are places to get money for rent. There is going to be some stimulus money coming in the next few weeks also. No one should believe that they will be able to live anywhere for free for very long. 

When you do talk with the tenant or your property manager does, make sure the tenant knows that they need to have a good phone number on file. Talk with them about their situation. Only then will you know what you can work out together.

I would follow @Rick Pozos advice and be as proactive as possible. Times are scary and while your rights as a landlord are a bit undefined at the moment, you will have the right to demand rent soon. 

Thanks all for the advise! We have reached out to him multiple times, through phone, email, knocking on the door and leaving a note and mailing a letter. His lease is up May 5, he just won’t allow(by not speaking with us) to show the property. The door is dead bolted and the windows are all covered. 

Definitely want to work with him and help through this. Can’t do anything if it’s one sided. I’ll keep trying till his lease end...from there, that is the biggest unknown, and I’m prepping for this guy just staying....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you