Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Maher Dakkak
Votes |
Which lease agreement needed to rent a spare bedroom in my house?

Maher Dakkak
Posted Sep 14 2020, 12:05

Hello denizens of BP!

I introduced myself a while back but have been busy reading on REIT, listening to the podcast, and analyzing deals in my area! As I amass the funds needed to buy my first rental (while keeping an eye on the COVID situation), I want to house hack.

As it so happens, a good friend of my girlfriend's would like to rent a spare room in my house for 3-6 months. I've interviewed her and it seems like she'd be a great first roommate in my house. I want to draw up an agreement for 3 months at first, and then have her sign an extension/new agreement for 3 more months if things are going well. I'm a new landlord so I'm wondering which lease agreement do I need to draw up for this situation?

I've searched all the "lease generator" websites for something like this, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. It doesn't seem like the standard Texas lease agreement works, since that seems to be for when the tenant is renting an entire house/unit. The Texas Roommate agreement also doesn't seem to apply, although it's a little closer to what I'm looking for. That one seems to be for when two or more roommates are leasing from a landlord not living on the premises.

Would I consider this prospective roommate a tenant or a lodger? Can anyone point me to a template or agreement that I can modify for this situation? Should I get in touch with a real estate lawyer or is this a common enough situation that a generic agreement will work?

I welcome any feedback!!

EDIT: The agreement would be in Texas

Loading replies...