How to deal with dogs?

8 Replies

We own College student housing and daughter lives there with her friends. We stopped off to drop off items to for our daughter and it’s pretty evident that a boyfriend and his dog are the now staying there too. We spoke to her, she denied it all. We sent nice email reminding her to follow terms of lease. Now what? She says we can’t stop in unannounced per the lease. How can we ensure that the boy and his dog actually leave?

What does your lease actually say about stopping in unannounced?

@David Haley Hopefully your lease has a penalty for unapproved pets? I would have let it go with a warning but now that she’s giving you a hard time for stopping in unannounced (which is ridiculous because it’s your property and your daughter lives there, so you can go there whenever you want), I’d hit her with the penalty, assuming your lease has one. Honestly though, we’ve given up on not allowing dogs. It’s too much of an uphill battle with tenants so we just allow them and charge a monthly pet fee on top of the normal rent. 

The fact that she's bringing up the issue about you being there into it would be a bigger issue for me, as that reminds me of something all of my least favorite tenants over the years would do. Is the property in Texas? If so I believe Texas is like here in CO where there is no statute for the notice period required by a landlord for non-emergency access to a unit anyway. She may be from a different state that requires notice. Either way, the fact that she’s playing that card right out of the gate would rub me the wrong way. I’d probably just start charging her pet rent/ whatever penalty your lease specifies for unapproved pets. Or offer her the “happy clause”/ “It seems like you’re not happy here, would you like to leave”, and get rid of her as she seems like a nuisance.

As it relates to the Tenant, you are the landlord and not a visitor of the co-tenant.  

This is all going to come down to what the lease says. Tenants have a right to quiet enjoyment, but you can document extended stays and other evidence of lease violations without entering the property.  

If you do document evidence of lease violations, send notice and opportunity to cure per lease and statute.  If the violation persists, give notice of the breach and termination per lease and statute.

This really isn't that hard.

Originally posted by @Alexander Szikla :

You could install a security camera and then just charge back the deposit for pet fees (if you've made them evident in the lease).

-Alex

Be INCREDIBLY careful about security cams.  Tenants have a right to privacy, including their back yard.  Besides, it smacks of sleaziness. 

I don't think putting an entry camera invades privacy - and if you happen to see dogs coming and going that would be sufficient. I wouldn't suggest putting cameras inside their units - that would be outrageous. 

I'd send a Notice to Correct along with a gentle, friendly letter stating that they are violating xxx paragraph of the lease they signed.  Sort of a velvet glove over an iron fist type thing.  

Young people may have the attitude that they're paying rent, they can do what they want.  They may not fully realize that they could be evicted for this.