Skip to content
Tenant Screening

User Stats

Votes
Sam German
Votes |
Tenant Pre-Screen. Can I ignore someone presenting red flags?

Sam German
Posted Jun 7 2022, 06:25

First time renting out a home.

Posted on Zillow and got some responses.

One of the guys filled out a form which provided info that he made half the required amount, move-in date way too early, bad credit, etc.

Basically all red flags. He wants to see the property.

Knowing that he will not be accepted, do I have to get on a phone screener?

Show him the property anyway? Send an application?

Conflicted as to what the next steps should be for a person like this.

Once on a phone screener, if they mention they don't meet all minimum req, do I still have them fill out an application?

Can I insist they fill one out before they see the property, knowing that something will come up?

Or can I ignore him altogther?

Lots of questions but that's what you get with a first-timer. 

User Stats

Votes
Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 7 2022, 06:34

Don't ignore. Send them a message stating that they do not meet the minimum requirements for renting the unit so that there is written record of it and why.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Schemmel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Jun 7 2022, 08:57

Karl said it concisely.  I include the min requirements in the post and that's the first thing I send them.  If they agree that those requirements are not an issue, I ask when they are available for a phone call.  about half of people don't make it past that question, and for those that are free for a phone call I just use it to learn about them and their situation and I ask them what they are looking for in a place to make sure a showing is a good use of time for both of us.  If all that checks out I make a showing appointment.  I had 15k+ hits on my last rental ad, nearly 200 inquiries, and only 4 applicants using this system.  I found that apartments and zillow gave me the most quality leads and facebook and craigslist gave me the most tire-kickers or non-starters.

• Real Estate Agent Minnesota (#40733743)

Jeff Schemmel - Brix Real Estate Logo
Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Sam German
Votes |
Replied Jun 7 2022, 09:08
Quote from @Jeff Schemmel:

Karl said it concisely.  I include the min requirements in the post and that's the first thing I send them.  If they agree that those requirements are not an issue, I ask when they are available for a phone call.  about half of people don't make it past that question, and for those that are free for a phone call I just use it to learn about them and their situation and I ask them what they are looking for in a place to make sure a showing is a good use of time for both of us.  If all that checks out I make a showing appointment.  I had 15k+ hits on my last rental ad, nearly 200 inquiries, and only 4 applicants using this system.  I found that apartments and zillow gave me the most quality leads and facebook and craigslist gave me the most tire-kickers or non-starters.

That's the most helpful piece of advice I've ever received. Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Schemmel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Jun 7 2022, 09:18

@Sam German wow, thanks.  Well, reach out anytime.  I found the BP episode with Lucas Hall particularly helpful in regards to tenant screening and management.  He worked for cozy before it became apartments .com and that episode's lessons have always stuck with me.

• Real Estate Agent Minnesota (#40733743)

Jeff Schemmel - Brix Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lucas Hall
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Arvada, CO
Replied Jun 8 2022, 13:13
Quote from @Jeff Schemmel:

@Sam German wow, thanks.  Well, reach out anytime.  I found the BP episode with Lucas Hall particularly helpful in regards to tenant screening and management.  He worked for cozy before it became apartments .com and that episode's lessons have always stuck with me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode @Jeff Schemmel!