Tenant Screening

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Roush
Votes |
Applicant has no social or driver's license number

Ashley Roush
Posted Nov 3 2022, 09:30

We have an applicant trying to complete an application for one of our rentals, but they do not have a social security number or a driver's license number- which are required fields for our background and credit check. Does anyone know an alternative to check their credit and background without a social security number?

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Mears
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Nov 5 2022, 06:53

@Ashley Roush

Move on to the next applicant

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 5 2022, 07:15

Stay away

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Nov 5 2022, 09:10

@Ashley Roush Just pass on people like this. You're wasting your time even dealing with them. You don't need to explain why, just say someone else qualified first....

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Sylvain
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Nov 6 2022, 18:20

You know what ... and I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying this ... but if I can not vet a prospective tenant because they have no documentation of their identity or credit history, be that a SSN, ITIN, Passport, or a signed and notarized letter from the Governor, and there is no other prospect on the horizon who does ... I'll leave the place stay vacant. "Sorry, no longer available."

Surely you can have verifiable documentation of identity be one of your application criteria, used uniformly across the board, like minimum credit score and sufficient income?

Yes, leaving it vacant is an expensive option, but so is renting to someone who turns out to be crooked.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Nov 6 2022, 18:52
Quote from @Alvin Sylvain:

You know what ... and I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying this ... but if I can not vet a prospective tenant because they have no documentation of their identity or credit history, be that a SSN, ITIN, Passport, or a signed and notarized letter from the Governor, and there is no other prospect on the horizon who does ... I'll leave the place stay vacant. "Sorry, no longer available."

You're not going to get into trouble for being honest, fair, law-abiding and patriotic.