Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes

List a Rental 2 Months Before Move-In?

Posted Apr 8 2022, 20:42

We know when our tenants are moving out. What are the pros and cons of listing 2 months early? We're in a great neighborhood in Austin.

Austin, Texas

User Stats

Votes
Ronnie Galindo
  • Realtor
  • Napa, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Napa, CA
Replied Apr 9 2022, 05:37

@Lacey A., in my opinion, there isn't a downfall of posting the rental early. The only drawback for the tenants are that people will most likely want to see it so they would have to go through the process of cleaning up the home and being away while you show it to other potential tenants. If you have a good relationship with them, then it shouldn't be a problem. The pros are that you can get someone ready to rent it prior to the old tenants leaving to minimize the loss to revenue. Also, you can allow someone else to give notice to their current landlord, which is always good. So as I see it, and I have done this in the past, there really isn't a con to posting 2 months early if the tenant will work with you!

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan G.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 9 2022, 05:38

It doesn't make sense. Most people aren't looking two months ahead, so your pool of applicants will be smaller. If the market is strong, wait 3-4 weeks before it's going to be vacant and you'll have no problem finding someone.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 11 2022, 09:49

@Lacey A. I would list it early. I feel like 2 months is a good lead time.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Good
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Holland, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Holland, PA
Replied Apr 11 2022, 12:50

I will do that if the current resident keeps their place neat and clean, I'll usually offer them a $100 if they allow me to do that, your tenant pool is smaller, however I found if some one is looking that far ahead, they tend to be a more responsible person.. of course their are always exceptions.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 16 2022, 09:12

Update! We listed 2 months early and had more than enough interest! I might even say we're talking with people who are very proactive, which is appreciated! Our tenant has been gracious in setting up times for showings (it is in the lease to do so up to 60 days prior to the end of the lease). They are happily moving up the street to a home they just purchased.