Votes
An Nguyen
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Photos for STR Listing

An Nguyen
  • San Diego, CA
Posted May 20 2022, 15:43

Hi everyone! I'm starting to self manage my STR in Big Bear Lake, CA and need to have photos taken. I plan to use Airbnb as my primary platform initially but see that the site shows photos can be taken with just your phone. Is this a good idea or should I invest in hiring a photographer? Thank you in advance for any inputs you all have!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 20 2022, 16:01

Definitely get a pro to do it. You can tell the difference a mile away. It makes the place look so much better and makes it look like you really care about the property.

There was a recent thread on this, try a search.....

User Stats

Votes
An Nguyen
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 20 2022, 16:37

@Bruce Woodruff that seems to be the consensus from what I've seen so I have requests out to a couple of photographers in the area. Thank you for your input! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 20 2022, 18:35
Quote from @An Nguyen:

@Bruce Woodruff that seems to be the consensus from what I've seen so I have requests out to a couple of photographers in the area. Thank you for your input! 

Maybe try to do a trade. Go on Craigslist or Facebook (?) We let a photographer use our house for the weekend and she took pics of both our places....made a HUGE difference.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Pich-Maxon
  • Realtor
  • Big Bear, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Big Bear, CA
Replied May 20 2022, 21:04
Quote from @An Nguyen:

I’ve got a local guy who does a really awesome job and is reasonable. DM me for details if that’s helpful for you.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Freestone
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 6 2023, 22:19

@Bruce Woodruff @Matt Pich-Maxon 

What do you guys consider good photos? We have a real estate photographer coming on Saturday and he wanted counters to be clear. I would think there are at least some amenities that we should include to avoid getting a bunch of questions. The STR we are renting is geared toward our lifestyle with 3 kids near the beach. For example, we made a beach gear closet with beach towels, sand toys, and boogie boards. I would think a shot of the closet open showing our toy bins and things would be a good add. I'm a newbie so I'm open to suggestions. I could see the other side of this where if it is not detailed enough we could get a bunch of questions on what is actually in the closet. I believe I heard on one of Avery's podcasts that showing a select few photos is ideal like 12-20.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Jun 7 2023, 00:22
Quote from @Tom Freestone:

@Bruce Woodruff @Matt Pich-Maxon 

What do you guys consider good photos? We have a real estate photographer coming on Saturday and he wanted counters to be clear. I would think there are at least some amenities that we should include to avoid getting a bunch of questions. The STR we are renting is geared toward our lifestyle with 3 kids near the beach. For example, we made a beach gear closet with beach towels, sand toys, and boogie boards. I would think a shot of the closet open showing our toy bins and things would be a good add. I'm a newbie so I'm open to suggestions. I could see the other side of this where if it is not detailed enough we could get a bunch of questions on what is actually in the closet. I believe I heard on one of Avery's podcasts that showing a select few photos is ideal like 12-20.

Making a place look greater than it is, might get an extra booking, but when they see it in reality isn't it a disappointment? 

AirBnb has an article on how to use your iphone to get the effects you want.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 7 2023, 06:06

@Tom Freestone Just common sense...highlight what makes your space special without looking cluttered. GO on VRBO and look at the good competition.

User Stats

Votes
Blake Novotney
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Wilmington, NC
Replied Jun 7 2023, 06:08

100% go for professional photos, don't sell yourself short it will pay off in attracting ideal guests.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Freestone
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 7 2023, 16:43

I appreciate the replies everyone. I found this Short Term Shop short on Youtube that also gave a reason to have less showing so that will be the way we go.