Votes
Matthew Curtis mendez
Pro Member
Votes |
Looking For Roommates

Matthew Curtis mendez
Pro Member
Posted Aug 5 2022, 06:26

Having a hard time finding roommates. I have tried Facebook, Zillow, yard sign etc. and it seems most people are interested in renting the whole home. I'm in a college town so I thought it would be easy to rent out but it seems all of the college students already have places to stay. I'm asking a lot of my friends but I'm wondering if there are other avenues I should take to find Roommates. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 5 2022, 07:31

@Matthew Curtis mendez

Craigslist? And by facebook do you mean facebook marketplace? I get the majority of my renter inquiries through FB marketplace.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Aug 5 2022, 07:35

Just like with buying homes, networking is a great help. Go to places where other people like you are gathering and talk to them. Many schools have programs to connect students, however I don't know whether you are enrolled or not. Finally, ask yourself if you really need a roommate. Could you purchase a place and have a tenant instead?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 08:11

@Matthew Curtis mendez, switching strategies here. If you can't find long-term tenants/roommates before the semester begins have you considered renting the rooms via Airbnb? The strategy may not be suitable for your market but it could be an alternative option. When marketing the property, make sure to clarify in the description that the rooms specifically are for rent, not the entire home. How long have you been marketing the rooms? I'd recommend reaching out to the student transfer administration on campus to try and pull in last-minute transfers who need housing. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Tim Miller
Pro Member
  • Laurel, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Laurel, MD
Replied Aug 5 2022, 08:25

@Matthew Curtis mendez You can google the local colleges for off campus housing and list your room(s) that way. Below is a link to Cleveland State.

https://www.csuohio.edu/vikesc...

Also check out the following sites for roommates:

https://www.roommates.com/

https://www.roomster.com/#

https://www.roomies.com/

We've had good luck with roomies good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Curtis mendez
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 5 2022, 09:35

I have tried FBM but no one reads the description haha. I have tried calling Norte Dame college as I am a 30 seconds walk to the campus but I have had no luck. The town I am in will not allow short term rentals for SFH. The student administration is solid thou! ill try that.

Tim Very helpful!! thank you for those links!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 15 2022, 09:47
Quote from @Matthew Curtis mendez:

Having a hard time finding roommates. I have tried Facebook, Zillow, yard sign etc. and it seems most people are interested in renting the whole home. I'm in a college town so I thought it would be easy to rent out but it seems all of the college students already have places to stay. I'm asking a lot of my friends but I'm wondering if there are other avenues I should take to find Roommates. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Hi Matthew, 

A lot of tenants in college towns already have their places buy now. I would reach out to the university and see if you could be put on a list or if there is a way they advertise open rooms. I would also reach out to local churches. They often do college ministry outreach and through that, they meet a lot of students who are in need of a place to stay. 

User Stats

Votes
Karla Sosa
  • Investor
  • Oxnard, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oxnard, CA
Replied Oct 18 2022, 16:24
Quote from @Matthew Curtis mendez:

Did you have any luck finding a roommate?