Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Kara Speigner
Votes |
Trying to sell a house with foundation issues

Kara Speigner
Posted Sep 22 2022, 10:35

Hello! We have a house, that is NOT our primary residence, that we are trying to sell. But the house has foundation issues and we want to to use the funds from the sale of the property to start investing well we currently live. We considered financing from the property like a HELOC but it is not our primary residence. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Brendon Pishny
  • Investor
  • Olathe, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Olathe, KS
Replied Sep 22 2022, 12:59

@Kara Speigner

I think it depends on how badly you want to sell. You can fix the foundation or sell at a discounted rate that allows the new buyer to fix it. Houses with bad foundations sell all the time. Just for not as much money obviously. If you want to keep it I would still fix the foundation. Then you could do a cash out refi and use the money to buy in your area. Hope that helps.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Sep 22 2022, 13:15

Foundations really scare away most buyers, You will have to discount heavily. I would get it repaired BY A LICENSED CONTRACTOR and have them include an Engineer's report as part of the deal. Then you have something to show buyers and you can ask full value for the house....

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 23 2022, 05:16
Quote from @Kara Speigner:

Hello! We have a house, that is NOT our primary residence, that we are trying to sell. But the house has foundation issues and we want to to use the funds from the sale of the property to start investing well we currently live. We considered financing from the property like a HELOC but it is not our primary residence. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Most foundation issues are not as bad as people think. There are companies that specialize in fixing foundation issues, many of them will issue a lifetime guarantee against additional settling or other problems. I would either fix it before selling, or at least get a couple quotes so potential buyers know what they are buying.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Sep 23 2022, 06:55
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Absolutely true. I used to look for houses with foundation/slab issues. The only really bad ones are where there is displacement in the slab, or a serious drop in levels....