Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Maquel Russon
Votes |
best way to figure out rental price

Maquel Russon
Posted Apr 18 2023, 12:38

I rent a by the room in a duplex near two big colleges, it has 5 bedrooms on each side. I have used Rentler before to price the rent but it doesn't make sense to use it because if I put that it is a one bedroom the price comes back as a one bedroom apartment. Would pricing as a 5 bedroom and then divide by each rooms square footage make sense?

User Stats

Votes
Tremaine Kwasikpui
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 18 2023, 14:42

First off congrats on having this near two colleges. I work at a college campus and our students are always looking for housing. I would try and find comps for rooms and see what amenities they include. Does your listing include water, lights, internet, washer/dryer,etc. 

If so I would ensure that you factor that into your room cost.  Padsplit and roomster gives good comps in my local area of Houston, TX. Lastly, maybe check the housing boards and see how much the room and board cost for a single room.

This is exciting and I would love to follow to see how things go.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 18 2023, 17:40

The MLS and property managers.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 19 2023, 04:25
Quote from @Maquel Russon:

I rent a by the room in a duplex near two big colleges, it has 5 bedrooms on each side. I have used Rentler before to price the rent but it doesn't make sense to use it because if I put that it is a one bedroom the price comes back as a one bedroom apartment. Would pricing as a 5 bedroom and then divide by each rooms square footage make sense?

You'll have to do the work. Look for comparable rentals advertised on different websites. Check the bulletin board at the administrative office. Secret shop other rentals. Don't rely on computer algorithms like Zillow or Rentler because they there are many intangibles they can't calculate for.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Laura Stayton
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Replied Apr 19 2023, 06:23
Quote from @Maquel Russon:

University housing pricing cannot be assessed through traditional means since it's higher than the norm.  You will need to check other rental comps in the area and go from that.  If you don't have access to information like this you should consider a property manager or agent who does.  Many times (in Delaware) you can have a 5 bedroom but the zoning is such that they limit you to 4 non related people for renting so you'll need to check that as well.  Lots of variables.  And make sure when you do get it rented that you have one parent of each student apply as well (and list them on the lease) 

Good luck!