Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
David Grado
Votes |
Marketing Materials Without being Incorporated

David Grado
Posted Apr 29 2023, 20:04

I would like to have professional marketing materials for my first and subsequent house hacks although I wont be incorporated. Is this legal? I would have a "business" name and logo.

User Stats

Votes
Edward Stephens
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Replied Apr 29 2023, 21:07

Yes it is possible.  You would be operating as a sole proprietor though.  It comes with more legal liability, which is why most don't do business this way.

User Stats

Votes
Lateefah Mathews
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 2 2023, 08:59

@David Grado, I agree with @Edward Stephens. While I'm not positioned to provide legal advice, it is legal to create marketing materials and use a business name and logo for your house hacking activities without being incorporated. However, make sure you're not misleading customers or violating any laws or regulations. Depending on the specifics of your situation, it may be beneficial to form a legal entity such as an LLC to protect yourself and your assets.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Lawrence Potts
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied May 2 2023, 12:00
Quote from @David Grado:

I would like to have professional marketing materials for my first and subsequent house hacks although I wont be incorporated. Is this legal? I would have a "business" name and logo.

Forming an LLC is not that difficult. It shouldn't be seen as a big deal, but somehow it is or it's acknowledged as a big step. Super easy to do. Different in each state, but you'll just pay an annual fee with the business registry of your state and most likely your county/city and then you have an LLC. Doesn't mean you are legally protected, but you have an LLC. Either way, you can send marketing material out as a sole proprietor or incorporated. Just be clear about your intentions and don't screw anyone over. Basic business practices. This is a smart idea to try if you're not finding what you need on the open market! Go find it off-market. Good work! Let us know if you want us to review your material or if you find a deal through your marketing. Best of luck and happy hunting!