• Fresno, CA
Votes |
Self Manage using Property Management Software

Samuel Medina
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fresno, CA
Posted May 10 2022, 10:23

Hello all!

Just looking for advice on self-managing using online software.

What software would you use for one single family home?

Preferably:

1) Free- since only one unit

2) Able to edit lease for additions

3) Take payment online

Thanks all!

User Stats

Votes
Gregory M Paielli
  • Property Manager
  • AZ NV, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • AZ NV, FL
Replied May 10 2022, 10:35

Hello Samuel,

What is your future growth look like. Are you just staying with a few rentals? 1-10? If that is the case just use Excel. We use Propertyware but we manage 100's of units and need that level. All the good software for Property Management will cost way to much to justify what you are doing currently.  You can use Square or Stripes to accept online payments. Thanks Greg

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2022, 11:37
Quote from @Samuel Medina:

Hello all!

Just looking for advice on self-managing using online software.

What software would you use for one single family home?

Preferably:

1) Free- since only one unit

2) Able to edit lease for additions

3) Take payment online

Thanks all!

Hello! I just started too and found Avail.co to be very easy to use and takes payments online etc. As a benefit to the tenant it also reports payments to the credit bureau which is kind of cool. I tried SimplifyEm and found it to be not so user friendly. 

Hope this helps!

Rochelle

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 11 2022, 06:56

Hello Samuel, You may wanna try Landlord Studio.  It's not free but not very expensive and well worth the money.  It's web-based so no losing excel spreadsheets or having to update various copies.  You can access all your info from any pc or smart phone.  It keeps information for a tenant (including lease docs, online payment history etc) in one place.  Good Luck!  Moy

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine Delves
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 15 2022, 15:39

I'd recommend using purpose-built software as it will grow with your portfolio (even if you're just starting off with one unit). It's a lot easier to manage your properties if you're keeping track of everything in the same place. 

Some of them do have a subscription fee but you can try them out first with a free trial. You may find it is worth it for the hassle and time saved by automating online rent collection, late fees, connecting your bank feeds, and organizing your rental property accounting.

User Stats

Votes
Mary Smith
Votes |
Replied May 16 2022, 05:51

@Samuel Medina I would recommend that you look into Innago. It's a free property management software and does have all the features that you mentioned above. 

I also suggest that you try a few different softwares before arriving at a conclusion. Each of them offer different features, so you would need to see which one fits your business needs best. Also, one thing that I did initially was testing out the software from the tenant's side of things, just to see how user friendly the software would be for them too. 

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Medina
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Fresno, CA
Replied May 16 2022, 08:42

Thanks everyone!