Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Michael Chirico
Votes |
how to grow a management business

Michael Chirico
Posted May 16 2022, 08:30

hey, looking for some advice/steps for a new management company to take/implement to grow the number of doors under management.

Right now I self manage my portfolio in Westchester County, 10 doors active (a 5 unit with an illegal apt and a 4 family), 4 in contract (3 family with an attic apt), and 12 doors going through renovations (2- 4 fams that I'm adding a 3rd floor and 2 addition units to each). I would like to offer property management to others. I am a licensed salesperson and can manage under my broker. How would you recommend marketing? I'm looking to manage with a flat rate % depending on the number of doors and handle repairs and renovations by charging a GC 15% fee on repairs/construction.  Use the systems of how I self manage with my team of subs to handle repairs/issues, turnover, and if wanted renovations.

Thanks in advance for your input

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 17 2022, 04:46
Quote from @Michael Chirico:

hey, looking for some advice/steps for a new management company to take/implement to grow the number of doors under management.

Many REALTORS and brokerages will not touch property management with a 10' pole. Create some marketing material to demonstrate what services you provide. Contact Brokers in your market and ask them if you could do a 15-minute presentation during a training meeting to talk about your company (5 minutes) and answer questions (10 minutes). Offer a referral fee to any agent that refers someone to you for management (payable after Owner signs a one-year agreement and Tenant is placed). I offer a referral fee ($200 per house or $50 per unit for more than four units) and if the Owner decides to sell within 24 months, I pay the referring agent a referral fee (whatever your standard is for sales).

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 17 2022, 07:00

@Michael Chirico

Did you check your state laws about property management?

Michigan, for example, requires a PMC to have its OWN specific brokerage license. So, you can't just work under another broker.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied May 17 2022, 07:47

@Michael Chirico - Join NARPM.  There is tons of resources there for new people and we love to share.