• Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
House Hack - Evict Roommate - LA County

Su Pak
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted May 23 2022, 11:13

Hi, we have a tenant who has become difficult. I thought I read that if you house hack you don't really need to have a reason to evict them. Is this true? 

Back story: we did go through all the house rules with him at lease signing. He signed a copy of the house rules and we also emailed him a copy for his records. He's been given a couple warnings and we're now ready to just kick him out. 

Do you see any red flags? Appreciate the advice from this community! 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Renn
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 23 2022, 16:01

Hey Su,

This is tough. I'm assuming he hasn't broken the lease, but is just not welcome to live there, correct? The best thing I can do is recommend you talk with an eviction lawyer. If you're interested in the referral, let me know! 

The David Greene Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Su Pak
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 23 2022, 16:09

@Charles Renn, I'd greatly appreciate a referral. Thank you. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Avetisyan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Glendale, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Glendale, CA
Replied May 29 2022, 21:27

Start documenting any warnings in writing. Communicate with him in writing. See if you can bait him into admitting fault. 

You can evict on grounds of lease violation or disrupting the peace. This process is typically long and bumpy. If you can offer him money to leave, it’ll be in your best interest — to the tune of up to 1K as an eviction won’t cost you can’t less. 

To your success!