Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Boston Taylor
Votes |
Education for learning how to manage a property yourself

Boston Taylor
Posted May 25 2022, 18:00

Where can I go to learn how to manage my own rentals? I just purchased a 4-plex and am currently redoing it, and am quickly learning that tenants and landlords need to be thorough with legal documents. Where can I go to learn about how to create the documents and also the ins and outs of the legalities of being a landlord? Things to watch out for? etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Meridith Wardle
  • Red Wing, MN
Votes |
  • Red Wing, MN
Replied May 26 2022, 10:23

I'd start with 'The Book on Managing Rental Properties' by Heather & Brandon Turner.

User Stats

Votes
Logan McKay Zylstra
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied May 26 2022, 13:48

@Boston Taylor

Use rentler for screening, applications, and even renters browsing. Seriously the best free PM software/website out there. It is widely used here in UT and you can post the link to FB groups.

PM is actually not as difficult as most make it out to be. I can shoot you the contract that realtors in UCAR use. Shoot me a PM with your email.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied May 27 2022, 06:39

There should be a loca landlord community around you that has a lot of the network. Additionally, you can look for BP for their stack of leases and legal docs. Finally, the state website will give you the mins of what you need to do as a landlord and its compliance. 

The Elle Group Logo