Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Shirley Moser
Votes |
Rental Home Air Quality

Shirley Moser
Posted Jun 8 2022, 05:52

I am having a problem with a tenant who claims that there is a musky smell and too much humidity.  What is the best way to insure that the rental is safe and keeps a good humidity level?  Do I get an air quality test or do I have to put in a dehumidifier in the house.  I've already put in a dehumidifier in the crawl space that I bought at Home Depot for 1,000 square feet.   Thanks for any suggestions that work for you.

User Stats

Votes
David Lee Hall, III
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jun 8 2022, 06:29

Honestly I almost always pick up a $100 dehumidifier for my places and drain them into a floor drain prior to leasing. I check it on annual inspections for functionality. Good preemptive move to keep mold at bay IMO. I would not test air quality with a tenant in the house. I would only do that between tenants when they wouldn’t potentially be contributing to the issue. You may also want to clean your ductwork. 

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Jun 8 2022, 06:35

Order a hydrometer for under $10 so you know what the relative humidity is. You want to investigate where it is coming from. Maybe you kitchen or bath don't have an exhaust fan. Or they don't use it. In this case connect the fan with the light switch. Or install a fan that senses humidity. Most importantly talk to your tenant, because it might be something they do.

Are you in a damp climate? You can bring it down with the AC or a dehumidifier. The musty smell can be taken care of with an ozone treatment, you can rent an ozone generator or hire a service. We have one I use also when we have a turnover to sanitize the house and make if smell clean. 

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
David Lee Hall, III
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jun 8 2022, 07:01
Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

The musty smell can be taken care of with an ozone treatment, you can rent an ozone generator or hire a service. 

Just don't do this with people in the unit. Ideally it will be vacant for a couple days and allowed to run. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 8 2022, 07:37
Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

Order a hydrometer for under $10 so you know what the relative humidity is. You want to investigate where it is coming from. Maybe you kitchen or bath don't have an exhaust fan. Or they don't use it. In this case connect the fan with the light switch. Or install a fan that senses humidity. Most importantly talk to your tenant, because it might be something they do.

Are you in a damp climate? You can bring it down with the AC or a dehumidifier. The musty smell can be taken care of with an ozone treatment, you can rent an ozone generator or hire a service. We have one I use also when we have a turnover to sanitize the house and make if smell clean. 

If you use an Ozone machine, it's best to evacuate the house of all living things, human and animal, fish, birds, lizards, etc... 

Research it on the internet.

Good Luck!