Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
William Bowers
  • New York
Votes |
Looking for advice on tracking expenses, property acquisition...

William Bowers
  • New York
Posted Jun 9 2022, 17:01

Good Evening, I am 21 years old in upstate NY. I own 2 rental properties. 3 are long term units and 1 is an Airbnb. I am working on my third deal now! Anyway I am looking for some advice/ opinions on how to track my expenses. What are some good platforms/applications to track basically everything. I am currently looking at Stessa and Quickbooks. Does anyone have experience with either of these or maybe something better? Any input would be greatly appreciated!! 

User Stats

Votes
David Lee Hall, III
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jun 9 2022, 17:17
Quote from @William Bowers:

Good Evening, I am 21 years old in upstate NY. I own 2 rental properties. 3 are long term units and 1 is an Airbnb. I am working on my third deal now! Anyway I am looking for some advice/ opinions on how to track my expenses. What are some good platforms/applications to track basically everything. I am currently looking at Stessa and Quickbooks. Does anyone have experience with either of these or maybe something better? Any input would be greatly appreciated!! 

I have QBO and honestly am seriously looking at Stessa. If you had an accountant keeping your books they would want such a tool, but honestly I don’t use 90% of the features and the cost just seems over the top when you can get good daTA from Stessa or landlord tools like Rentec or Avail.

User Stats

Votes
William Bowers
  • New York
Votes |
  • New York
Replied Jun 9 2022, 17:40
Quote from @David Lee Hall, III:
Quote from @William Bowers:

I have QBO and honestly am seriously looking at Stessa. If you had an accountant keeping your books they would want such a tool, but honestly I don’t use 90% of the features and the cost just seems over the top when you can get good daTA from Stessa or landlord tools like Rentec or Avail.

Thank you David! 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John T.
  • Central U. S. A.
Votes |
  • Central U. S. A.
Replied Jun 9 2022, 17:49
I use QuickBooks Pro 2020 desktop for all accounting.  QB easily helps you track expenses for individual properties.  I use Rentec Direct for rent payment, reporting and general management of properties.  I recommend both.

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied Jun 10 2022, 07:04

I use Stessa and love it. It actually has taught me a lot about book keeping specifically for real estate investors. It also helps me to ask better questions with my accountant as to what I can write off and what I can't. Plus... it's FREE! So I strongly recommend it. :)

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine Delves
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 12 2022, 16:45

I recommend purpose-built property management software over Quickbooks. QB is great for general accounting but lacks some of the industry-specific features like online rent collection, tenant screening and rental accounting.