• Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Consecutive Late Rent and Unresponsive Tenant

Kyle Ratzlaff
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jun 14 2022, 16:17

I had a tenant move in a couple months back and seemed like a good tenant.  Didn't have an issue supplying the deposit and 1st months rent of 1,700 each.  However, for rent due on the 1st of May they were not only late, but had to go through social services to supply the rent.  Discussed this in the first month and allowed for this while still charging a late fee which they paid.  They mentioned they had unforeseen monetary issues come up.  Now this month, they haven't paid the rent, and I've sent another late fee notice.  They haven't answered the phone when I've called to discuss when they will be able to pay and are very unresponsive to text messages as well.

Are there any other options I have, or do I need to reach out to an eviction attorney and let them handle it from here?

Also, any recommendations for an eviction attorney South East of the Houston area to discuss with?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Martella
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Votes |
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Replied Jun 14 2022, 17:00

I think you got a professional tenant.  What did their credit and income look like?  

I would start the eviction process. Check with your local REIA for an attorney

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jun 14 2022, 17:09

Agree with joe

It will cost you but they have no intention of paying

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Ratzlaff
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 14 2022, 17:19
Quote from @Joe Martella:

I think you got a professional tenant.  What did their credit and income look like?  

I would start the eviction process. Check with your local REIA for an attorney

Yeah, I'm questioning that as well.  Their income was a little over 3 times the rent and the credit score was just under 600.  Thank you for your advice.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Jun 14 2022, 19:03

go by and post a notice that you are doing an inspection. Something may have happened related to the unforeseen money issues and they may have bailed.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 15 2022, 05:12
Quote from @Kyle Ratzlaff:

I had a tenant move in a couple months back and seemed like a good tenant.  Didn't have an issue supplying the deposit and 1st months rent of 1,700 each.  However, for rent due on the 1st of May they were not only late, but had to go through social services to supply the rent.  Discussed this in the first month and allowed for this while still charging a late fee which they paid.  They mentioned they had unforeseen monetary issues come up.  Now this month, they haven't paid the rent, and I've sent another late fee notice.  They haven't answered the phone when I've called to discuss when they will be able to pay and are very unresponsive to text messages as well.

Are there any other options I have, or do I need to reach out to an eviction attorney and let them handle it from here?

Also, any recommendations for an eviction attorney South East of the Houston area to discuss with?

They're sucking you into a game. The lack of communication is one of the biggest red flags.

Find an attorney and start the termination/eviction process immediately. Even if they catch up, work on termination because they are unlikely to get better.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nancy Truong
  • Attorney
  • Houston
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Houston
Replied Jun 17 2022, 16:48

I agree with the rest. Start the eviction process. A notice to vacate gives the tenants 3 days to move before you start the eviction suit. If you already sent notice of late fee. Might as well send the Notice to Vacate. If tenants are already acting this way, be prepared not to get paid the coming month. If you need an attorney, feel free to private message me. Walter & Truong PLLC law firm handles real estate law, business law, and estate planning. We do evictions.

Nancy Truong, Texas Attorney

User Stats

Votes
Roger Simons
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 17 2022, 16:54

The first rule is to live there and SHARE the property.  That way they are not tenants and have no rights (at least in my area).  The second things go south they are evicted.  Hopefully you find a replacement before their security deposit has evaporated.  Most places only give you 2 weeks.  When you live with people its a lot harder to avoid you and pretend the didn't get your legal notices.  I used to always learn the skills of the people before they moved in.  That way if they fall behind and can't find work maybe I can hire them for something.  One guy was a month behind (which was very rare for my operation) and he worked it off getting paid 50% cash and 50% going to his debt.  Paid off every penny.  I told so many of his acquaintances/family of his responsibility and my appreciation of his honesty.  Its not about the money, its about the integrity.  Like when people pay you a debt AFTER they left and you don't know where they are.  That's so nice.  

User Stats

Votes
Roger Simons
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 17 2022, 16:55

Remember:  Always be close to your investment.  Living IN your investment is taking this to the highest level.  It should be called Max Management. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Ratzlaff
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 17 2022, 17:12
Quote from @Nancy Truong:

I agree with the rest. Start the eviction process. A notice to vacate gives the tenants 3 days to move before you start the eviction suit. If you already sent notice of late fee. Might as well send the Notice to Vacate. If tenants are already acting this way, be prepared not to get paid the coming month. If you need an attorney, feel free to private message me. Walter & Truong PLLC law firm handles real estate law, business law, and estate planning. We do evictions.

Nancy Truong, Texas Attorney

Thanks Nancy. I've already started the process, but I'll keep you in mind for the future.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Martella
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Votes |
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Replied Jun 20 2022, 05:09

To add to this. To find an eviction attorney, I recommend that you reach out to your local REIA. They will have an attorney that specializes in evictions and would be less costly than an attorney that doesn't do evictions regularly.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Robbins
  • Property Manager
  • Henderson, NV
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Henderson, NV
Replied Jun 22 2022, 08:06

@Kyle Ratzlaff I would keep it simple: follow the lease, state laws, and issue proper notices.  For example, if the rent is due on the 1st then issue the proper notice as soon as your laws allow (pay or quit etc...) without hesitation or discussion.  Follow the process and the letter of the law.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 22 2022, 13:07

Sheesh, that's awful. Glad you started the eviction process. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.