Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Suong Luu
Votes |
Is a cracked fridge top damage from the tenant?

Suong Luu
Posted Jun 24 2022, 17:43

The fridge is GE and is 3 and a half years old. The top of the left door cracked today. 

Is this just a freak accident or damage from the tenant? I saw on another forum that someone said they had a cracked fridge top, on the corner though and it was from his two kids slamming the fridge door. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 24 2022, 21:01

I don’t think you could physically do that from slamming door. MAYBE if it was lying on its back so gravity was on your side. Looks more like installation damage. Someone lifting/moving the fridge by the door. 

If the door still opens/closes fine I’d leave as is until dead. If no longer works unfortunately a new fridge is probably better idea than new door. If nothing else was damaged/abused in the property I wouldn’t think tenant damage, whereas if many things were damaged I would. 

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
James Hamling#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied Jun 24 2022, 22:51

@Suong Luu nothing about that looks like normal use failure, it was without doubt damage from some action done to it. I doubt slamming but someone pulling down on and open door, or up, something extreme and not normal, the damage shows that rather clearly. 

If tenant damage or not is easily answered from comparison of there move-in inspection, it's just that simple. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 25 2022, 06:00
Quote from @Suong Luu:

The fridge is GE and is 3 and a half years old. The top of the left door cracked today. 

400 rentals for over a decade and I've never had that happen. It's on the hinge side, so I doubt it's caused by slamming the door. I suspect it was either damaged during installation or it's a manufacture defect.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Smyth
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Jun 25 2022, 20:27

@Suong Luu

Could be from slamming the door when things are in the way. There should be damage inside too. Not normal wear at all.