• Rental Property Investor
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Looking for a plumber in Las Vegas

Bob Weber
  • Irvine, CA
Posted Jul 21 2022, 13:20

Hi everyone. I've got a rental in Vegas and I need this valve replaced. The property manager has given me a bid from their preferred plumber, and it seems pretty high. Does anyone have a plumber they can recommend in Vegas? This seems like an easy job.

Thanks.

Bob

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 21 2022, 13:44

I don’t have one off the top of my head. Is their estimate well over $150? I would GUESS it’s going to run $125 give or take. (Assuming $85-$100 to come out and $20-30 valve) Should be an easy over the phone quote to ask a couple plumbers for a simple shutoff valve replacement. Choose any big company for slightly higher price but more likely to be done right and quickly. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Weber
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jul 21 2022, 15:07

The estimate I got was $650, and they'll charge $85 for the estimate if they don't do the work. That seems pretty crazy. It's the plumber they always use, so I suspect they've gotten complacent, not having to compete for work.

I searched here for a contractor, and it came up empty, but one still reached out to me. Hopefully they can do better.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 21 2022, 17:07

That’s INSANE. Let me look through my records for a couple past plumbers. (Mostly water heaters.)

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 21 2022, 17:17

C&B plumbing 702-498-5377 came out and snaked a kitchen sink drain, removed and unclogged a p trap and reinstalled for $175 on 5/19

They also replaced s pressure regulator in a garage at a different property for $275 on 4/22 so that should be your max, assuming a pressure regulator is same or harder than a valve. 

on 2/22 they replaced two flappers and 2 fill valves in two different toilets for $250

On 1/17 at a third property they snaked a pair of sinks for $160.

I’m happy to say that’s all the plumbing I’ve dealt with this year. I’m sorry to say I only have the one lead, sometime they use handymen when there’s faucets and such involved. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Weber
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jul 21 2022, 18:22
Thank you Bill. I appreciate the referral and details. I was called by Yes Air Conditioning and Plumbing. They're going to stop by and take a look. I'll give C&B a call too. It'd be nice to have a contractor I can trust and not need to get several bids for everything.

I'm disappointed in my PM. They were the PM when we bought these properties and we kept them. It's not the first time I've thought we should look for alternatives, buy my wife doesn't want to deal with changes. Sigh.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 21 2022, 19:54

I HATE change. But if you ever decide to look at `Brian Hartsell @ key properties. I don’t work for them I don’t get a kick back, it’s just my way of telling them thanks for being my PM for 10+ years on a dozen properties here. C&B is the plumber they sent out. Most repairs are reasonable, I only have to watch them on appliance and AC replacements.  

8% of rents received, $300 new tenant commission to realtors, $150 renewal. That’s about it. 

Good luck and let me know how it turns out. 

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Dwyer
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Henderson, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Henderson, NV
Replied Jul 22 2022, 07:34

@Bob Weber That estimate does look quite high.  Give me a shout if you still need a plumber contact.  I know several.  I'd guess this would be closer in cost to that PRV replacement that Bill mentioned.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Robbins
  • Property Manager
  • Henderson, NV
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Henderson, NV
Replied Jul 22 2022, 09:17

@Bob Weber the $650 estimate does not seem right if they are only replacing the valve.  I suspect if you call around that you will get estimates in the range of $200-350.  Most likely around $350 tops.  I have a few different plumbers. One of which is Jack Dish Plumbing.