• Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Tenant Considering Having an at home grooming business

Marlon Zuniga
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Aug 1 2022, 03:01

Hi, 

I have a tenant who has requested to use the SFH she rents from me to operate her dog grooming business for a few months until she can find a more permanent establishment. I'm inclined to say no given the additional wear and tear on household and appliances. There will likely be limitations due to zoning laws. Has anyone had this or a similar situation before? If so, appreciate any suggestions.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 1 2022, 03:37

@Marlon Zuniga

That would be a hard no.

First the property is most likely not zoned to have that type of establishment

Second between the wear and tear and smell along with water and power usage - ouch

Lastly if she is allowed she most likely will never find another place and keep using your home to do this

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 1 2022, 04:40
Quote from @Marlon Zuniga:

Hi, 

I have a tenant who has requested to use the SFH she rents from me to operate her dog grooming business for a few months until she can find a more permanent establishment. I'm inclined to say no given the additional wear and tear on household and appliances. There will likely be limitations due to zoning laws. Has anyone had this or a similar situation before? If so, appreciate any suggestions.

First, have you been to a dog groomer? I've been in several and they are a mess! The smell is very strong and there is dog hair everywhere. It could cause a lot of damage to your rental.

Second, I wouldn't recommend renting for a short period of time because she will vacate and you'll be looking for a new tenant in the fall or winter when things are slow and harder to rent for top dollar.

Third, I recommend keeping your rental a residential rental and forbid tenants from operating a business in it. That can open up a new set of problems and liabilities.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Aug 1 2022, 05:04

@Marlon Zuniga  who pays water,  who has liability insurance?   Just tell her no, I would think your insurance doesn't cover business use. 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Aug 1 2022, 05:05

@marion zuniga

You can easily say no - or you can give them a list of requirements they are highly unlikely to meet - which is a polite no.

1) Written authorization from the ciy on city letterhead

2) Damage and liability insurnace of $1,000,000

3) Rent increase to cover additional wear & tear

4) Higher security deposit (if legally allowed) to cover potential damages

5) Letters from neighbors stating they are okay with additional traffic and parking issues.

6) Whatever else you can think of!

User Stats

Votes
Erin Dreher
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Little Rock, AR
Replied Aug 1 2022, 08:07

I would say hard NO also. Our lease agreements that we have tenants sign state clearly that tenants are not allowed to operate any business out the residence. @Drew Sygit listed several. Not worth it in my opinion. 

Your gut feeling is correct @Marlon Zuniga- no

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Aug 2 2022, 19:38

Marlon,

Check with your insurance carrier to see if this new use would void the policy or cause you to be cancelled.  Most carriers will ask about business use of the property when you apply for a Dwelling Fire policy.  You may have to write a new Commercial policy (Business Owners or Package policy) for a Leased Commercial building.  I would suggest, regardless of whether or not you have to rewrite the policy, that you consider purchasing additional Liability coverage (usually through an Umbrella policy).

Look into what safety changes are needed for the property due to the business.  Likely fencing to the area where the grooming is being done, if outside.  If inside, compartmentalize the areas that dogs are being brought through (to avoid two dogs fighting or a dog from escaping the building).  

User Stats

Votes
Marlon Zuniga
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Aug 2 2022, 19:54

Much appreciated everyone. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Aug 2 2022, 20:23

@Drew Sygit has a good idea. But basically, just NO....