Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Tsipora Smith
Votes |
New Management Company Needed

Tsipora Smith
Posted Aug 3 2022, 07:56

I currently am using a national property management company. My thinking was that if a healthy relationship could be established with this company then they would be able to support my properties as I expand across the nation. Nevertheless, I'm now thinking that a local company would be a better fit as this large national company is not as responsive as needed and constantly fails to enforce fees stated in the lease. In short, I'm looking for a company that can manage my Garland and Mesquite, Texas rental properties. I do not need help find and screening tenants, merely managing repairs and tenants needs after the tenant moves in. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 4 2022, 06:16
Quote from @Tsipora Smith:

I currently am using a national property management company. My thinking was that if a healthy relationship could be established with this company then they would be able to support my properties as I expand across the nation. Nevertheless, I'm now thinking that a local company would be a better fit as this large national company is not as responsive as needed and constantly fails to enforce fees stated in the lease. In short, I'm looking for a company that can manage my Garland and Mesquite, Texas rental properties. I do not need help find and screening tenants, merely managing repairs and tenants needs after the tenant moves in. 

I would definitely go with individual managers based on their performance in the local market.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 4 2022, 06:50
Quote from @Tsipora Smith:

Find out who is the best in the area and go with them. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Mccaw
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Replied Aug 8 2022, 14:09

@Tsipora Smith I'm sure I will get some hate mail on this but....their goals do not align with yours. Their business model is get private equity money, grow and sell to the highest bidder.

It's really hard for a national firm to manage well. Of course their are good ones. But they tend to have a revolving door of entry level employees and rely heavily on tech. Mesquite is very difficult to work with for landlords. It would be very difficult to get very far with a firm that is not familiar with local nuances. Go local with a company that holds employees long enough that they're not afraid to post team members on their website.

Crazy story - We recently took over 4 houses from a big national brand that marketed that they have 4 offices here. We couldn't get anyone to respond from the firm. So we sent a staff person out to each location. Each "office" was a Regus office suite that they no longer had rights to. In fact the Regus office was upset because tenants and prospects would show up there constantly. After several days we were connected to an "employee" that had the property keys. We had to meet him between classes on their college campus. This company recently raised MILLION$ to keep growing.

• Property Manager TX (#0562767)

McCaw Property Management Logo