• Real Estate Agent
  • New Lenox, IL
Votes |
Is there any fix for a bad location?

Edward Pluchar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Lenox, IL
Posted Aug 9 2022, 03:21

Hello BP - will keep this brief but feel free to ask questions if you need clarification.

I live in Chicago and bought a duplex in St. Louis last year.  That has been performing decently, and I wanted to move more funds out of my bank account and into real estate for all of the usual reason.

I landed on a 4 unit, and after surveying everyone I knew in the area, I felt I had my hands on a C, maybe C- property.  My PM said there would be no problem renting the 4th and only vacant unit.

No kidding, within a week of closing, the PM complained to me that this was a very dangerous location.  And it has proven difficult to manage over the last 7 months.  We're now down to one unit rented and one being evicted.

I should have done more due diligence, without a doubt.  Very expensive mistake.  But I can't be the only investor who has purchased in a bad neighborhood.

For those of you who have, is there anything that worked for you, to encourage new renters?  

Do you still own the property?  If you do, why do you still own it?  (Genuinely curious about the reasons)

If you don't, how did you end up off-loading it?  Did you just cut the losses, or did you try to get it rented out by any means necessary, then sell?  Looking for any genuine and helpful advice you can offer, appreciate it!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 9 2022, 05:54
Quote from @Edward Pluchar:

My recommendation: work hard to get it filled, then list it for sale and lose the problem.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Aug 9 2022, 05:59

I agree with @Nathan Gesner to get filled, performing the best it can turn-key, and get it listed. There's investors looking for properties just like it and willing to take that challenge.

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Aug 9 2022, 07:59

Hey @Edward Pluchar - Congrats on your St. Louis duplex purchase.  How come you bought there instead of Chicago, just curious.

That stinks, but the most important thing is the knowledge you are taking away from the situation.  I think I'd start with finding a property manager that can handle your assets in the neighborhood that it's in....there is definitely someone who is working in that area and can help you out.  I suggested finding a PM first because even if you wanted to sell and it's nearly vacant then you will definitely have to sell at a discount to an investor.  The only reason I wouldn't try to fill the vacancies would be if the property needs to be renovated.  

Regardless seems like the right move is to either get it stabilized with the right property manager or cut your losses and sell it to an investor.

User Stats

Votes
David P.
Votes |

At least in my area, investors prefer an investment property that is near vacant and would pay more for them. Apprasals will give value based on market rents and also most landlords prefer to screen their own tenant and perhaps do some rehabs on the property if needed.

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Aug 9 2022, 08:51
Aloha,

Even in a bad neighborhood, you can attract the top 10% for the price point by having an attractive, clean, and secure property. Curb appeal, lighting, possibly security cameras, solid core or decorative metal doors with deadbolts and security screen doors, interior painting that is not one color on everything, accent walls in main living area and primary bedroom, cabinets and closets painted white on the interior, flooring limited to one or two designs throughout the unit, and no carpet, windows and screens fully operable and clean...all of this will elevate your unit vs. most of the others in such a neighborhood. Move out all tenants...they may be part of the problem...start fresh and screen them well.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Martella
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Votes |
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Replied Aug 10 2022, 04:48

You aren't the only one who invests there.  Generally, in neighborhoods, most of the properties are investor owned.  PM strategies/tactics and experience needs change based on the neighborhoods.  

In my opinion, I would meet with the local REIA group(s) in your area and find investors there. See what they do and how they manage those properties before you sell for a loss.

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Aug 10 2022, 07:13
Quote from @Edward Pluchar:

Hello BP - will keep this brief but feel free to ask questions if you need clarification.

I live in Chicago and bought a duplex in St. Louis last year.  That has been performing decently, and I wanted to move more funds out of my bank account and into real estate for all of the usual reason.

I landed on a 4 unit, and after surveying everyone I knew in the area, I felt I had my hands on a C, maybe C- property.  My PM said there would be no problem renting the 4th and only vacant unit.

No kidding, within a week of closing, the PM complained to me that this was a very dangerous location.  And it has proven difficult to manage over the last 7 months.  We're now down to one unit rented and one being evicted.

I should have done more due diligence, without a doubt.  Very expensive mistake.  But I can't be the only investor who has purchased in a bad neighborhood.

For those of you who have, is there anything that worked for you, to encourage new renters?  

Do you still own the property?  If you do, why do you still own it?  (Genuinely curious about the reasons)

If you don't, how did you end up off-loading it?  Did you just cut the losses, or did you try to get it rented out by any means necessary, then sell?  Looking for any genuine and helpful advice you can offer, appreciate it!

We've made mistakes purchasing in bad locations and have also purchased in locations that were transitioning from bad to good. (This included St. Louis about 10 years ago). While we could not do anything about the neighborhood we could control our property (or at least try and control it) Things we've done to make the property more attractive & safer- Privacy Fences; Security Cameras; Exterior Lighting....   Emphasized security, security, security.  Once units were occupied we then sold it as turnkey.

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Gary Jenson
  • Investor
  • Anacortes, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Anacortes, WA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 21:58

I bought some small multi-family properties in a C / D area.  I bought 3-5 years ago, so my payment is far lower than what the last few years of craziness has pushed prices to. So, I've rehabbed as I've had vacancies, rather than all up front.  I have only raised rents 5%/year max.  that's way behind what market rate is, and it's left me with largely pretty devoted tenants.  No one has wanted to leave through the covid times.  One just stopped paying, and isn't communicating, so I'm trying to figure out what is going on there.  I'll probably give a significant rent bump if it comes to a new tenant, but keep it 85% or lower of market rate, to keep long-term and tenants on my side, despite the undesirable neighborhood.

If you didn't buy cheap, you may not have that luxury and be able to still stay cash-flowing.  I'm doing a lot better now without the turnover. 

My hope is that the area will improve.  We self manage (another lesson learned!) and spend a LOT OF TIME on screening.  We talk with them a lot.  I have no interest in 'automated' scripted/all online ads/applications/etc.  We have tenants call us when we get a zillow 'tour request', so they have to reach out.  We talk with them on the pre-screen using a modified brandonTurner-like form.  Then we talk with them a lot on a tour if it comes to that.  We're looking for folks we believe in, which don't necessarily have the strongest numbers.  It seems most folks claim to want to do yard work, but then aren't so strong in that once they move in.  But a few do that, and we are able to improve the looks of lots.  We're out of town, and we farm out snow/lawn care to tenants.  Finding true gardening tenants is hard.  maybe if we spent the time to drive by where they live before we signed them on.  So many folks are having a hard time paying for housing, that there should be some rent-paying and yard-friendly folks in the bunch.

So, we've bought several properties close together, and we're hoping to bring the area up.  Check back in 10 years to see how it's gone...

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Aug 11 2022, 04:27

@Edward Pluchar you can definitely manage your way out of this one, BUT this management company won't be the solution. I have been in this situation, and your best bet is to immediately call 10-15 management companies to find someone who is comfortable and competent enough to manage this place for you. 

I am also curious as to why you are purchasing out of state. St. Louis is probably a fine market, but couldn't you have found a cheap C- type property within 30-40 minutes of home? Then you would have a lot more options (self-manage). I went through this initially in my career when I invested out of state, and I have since refocused my energy here in the Chicago area where I can be most effective. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matt Ference
  • New to Real Estate
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Aug 11 2022, 05:21

What part of St. Louis as your property. Very similar to Chicago, St. Louis can be block by block