Pro Member
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Can I deduct appliance repairs from tenant deposit

Lisa Richardson
Pro Member
  • Omaha, NE
Posted Aug 27 2022, 17:58

Can I charge my tenant for repairs to the dishwasher because they used regular dish soap instead of dishwaster detergent? The dishwasher was brand new when they moved in 2 years ago.   

I have a second property that the dishwasher was 1 year old when they moved in and it didn't work when they moved out.  I can't get anyone to come out to service the dishwasher (crazy, I know) - can I deduct from their deposit for having to replace the dishwasher?  If so, what would be reasonable (obviously not the entire cost).

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 28 2022, 04:59
Quote from @Lisa Richardson:

1. Do not ever deduct anything from the security deposit during tenancy. That is for cleaning and repairs after termination and it's your leverage for compliance. Anything the tenant owes during tenancy should be charged and paid separately.

2. You could charge them, but it's a tough call. Did you warn them not to use dish soap? Dishwashers are pretty common, but there are still people out there that have never used one before so it's important to leave a set of instructions or demonstrate it. Same with garbage disposals, sewers, digital thermostats, electronic locks, garage door openers, etc.

3. When it comes to repairs, the full cost is reasonable. Replacement is based on depreciated value but repairs are based on the complete cost of the repair because the unit was operating normally and the tenant caused 100% of the repair. But, it wouldn't hurt to split it just to get something and teach them a lesson.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Aug 28 2022, 06:13

If their misuse broke it (ie they used regular dish soap), then yes you charge them for the repairs.  If you find this out when they move out, take it from their deposit, but if they are mid lease, you send them that bill and they pay you.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Julie Hartman
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Replied Aug 28 2022, 08:45

@Lisa Richardson If you feel you are justified in charging the tenant for the repair, you will need to have doucmented proof they caused the problem in the first place. Did the repair company write on the receipt the cause of the break? If not, then you may be stuck covering this one yourself. 

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Richardson
Pro Member
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Aug 29 2022, 18:20

Thanks everyone! I'm learning everyday how to be better at this landlord thing!