Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Maquel Russon
Votes |
Tenant will not respond

Maquel Russon
Posted Aug 30 2022, 12:25

I have a tenant that his lease is up in two days and he will not respond, I have texted him several times and emailed. He is in a 5 bedroom house that is shared by other men, I would like if he is not going to stay to put it up for rent to start showing it. Its the time of year when college is about to be in session so I want to take advantage of that because we are close to 2 big colleges.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 30 2022, 12:57
Why are you letting him set the pace? Give him written notice that his lease is not being renewed due to his failure to respond in a timely manner and that if he is not out, you will evict.

You need to let your tenants know that if they don't respond in X days (30?) to the lease extension you will assume it terminates on the date stated and that they will leave.

Then evict.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 30 2022, 20:21
Quote from @Maquel Russon:

I have a tenant that his lease is up in two days and he will not respond, I have texted him several times and emailed. He is in a 5 bedroom house that is shared by other men, I would like if he is not going to stay to put it up for rent to start showing it. Its the time of year when college is about to be in session so I want to take advantage of that because we are close to 2 big colleges.

I agree with John. You should be proactive in these situations. It's too late now but you can fix it in the future.

Give notice at least 30 days in advance. Offer them whatever options and require a response within one week. State that no response will be treated as notice of termination and that you expect them out by 11:59PM on [DATE].

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes