Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Shanna Chen
Votes |
renting out condo in Centerville and potential tenant has a pet

Shanna Chen
Posted Oct 11 2022, 09:28

I recently purchased a condo in Centerville Ohio and I signed with Property management. We are having a hard time renting out the condo, it's in a nice area but is a smaller 2 bed, 2 bath place. Our potential tenant who want to move in wants a short term 6 month lease and has a small dog.

Would you rent out to tenants who have pets, and if so, how much of a pet fee would you charge? I know the average is around $100-300.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Oct 12 2022, 04:55

@Shanna Chen you charge as much as the market will  bear!

One trick we've learned is to ask the prospect what they are willing to pay. There answer "brackets" what they will pay and often you may be surprised how high they go.

Also, don't forget to add monthly Pet Rent to offset the additional pet wear & tear. Typical amount is $50-100/month depending on pet size.

How much of a premium are you charging for the 6 month lease?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 12 2022, 05:28
Quote from @Shanna Chen:

You can charge a deposit or a fee. Deposits are refundable; fees are not.

I use only fees and prefer monthly. It should be large enough to mitigate the additional risk. I charge $35 - $100 per month, per pet, for the entire lease. I have some tenants that have stayed multiple years paying $100 a month, which is an extra $3,600 income (so far). As Drew said, I had one tenant that volunteered to pay $300 a month when I was only going to charge $100.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shanna Chen
Votes |
Replied Oct 12 2022, 11:55
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Shanna Chen you charge as much as the market will  bear!

One trick we've learned is to ask the prospect what they are willing to pay. There answer "brackets" what they will pay and often you may be surprised how high they go.

Also, don't forget to add monthly Pet Rent to offset the additional pet wear & tear. Typical amount is $50-100/month depending on pet size.

How much of a premium are you charging for the 6 month lease?

I

@Drew Sygit I have not found a tenant yet. I'm afraid I made the mistake of hiring a sub-par property manager but we are listing the condo (1 bed, 1 bath) at $1550 and it would be a year lease. Its been advertised for 2 weeks with just a few people reaching out. 

@Nathan Gesnerundefined

User Stats

Votes
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Oct 12 2022, 13:36

@Shanna Chen going into the fall, expect it to take 2-4 week minimum!