Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Ellen Lopez
Votes |
Need a Property Managing Software Similar to Cozy

Ellen Lopez
Posted Oct 24 2022, 15:10

Hello! I loved Cozy but I do not like Apartments.com.

I am looking for a Software that can set the tenants up for automatic rent payments like Cozy did.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Stevenson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Manchester, NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Manchester, NH
Replied Oct 24 2022, 16:14

Hi Ellen, I've heard lots of folks say positive things about turbotenant.  I've never used it personally so I can't comment

• Real Estate Agent New Hampshire (#072410) and Massachusetts (#9562547)

• Sopris Realty LLC
Sopris Realty LLC  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 24 2022, 16:37

I used both turbotenant and hemlane previously.  switched to Innago and quite happy with it.  Payments are faster than Hemlane (2-3 days) and ability to sign rental agreements online along with saved templates.  Also free to use, just charges tenants $2/payment which you can just credit them for if you need to.  

I also use Stessa in conjunction for financial analysis/tracking.  That is the site that I was trying to find forever and so glad I did - and it's free.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Martella
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Replied Oct 24 2022, 17:28

I use TurboTenant and Stessa.  I am quite happy with both. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 25 2022, 04:05
Quote from @Ellen Lopez:

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

Software is a common question on BiggerPockets. Here are some things to consider:

1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
  2. Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
  3. There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.

Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.

• Load a property with pictures and details.
  • Market that property.
  • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
  • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
  • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
  • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
  • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
  • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
  • Sign documents electronically.
  • Run owner reports.

After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 25 2022, 04:15

If you are looking for skilled developer, designer or product manager. Feel free to check out<a href="https://techkluster.com/" rel="nofollow">Techkluster</a>and choose by yourself in minimal cost.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Liu
  • Property Manager
  • Nationwide
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Nationwide
Replied Oct 25 2022, 11:30

What kind of services are you looking for with the software Ellen? 

If it is primarily collecting rent from your tenants, I would recommend just setting up a Zelle or PayPal account and share the payment info with the tenant. They just click a button and the rent shows up in your account. 

If you are looking to cover all the basis (leasing, rent collection and maintenance support) I would recommend a virtual management service like ours, Marble, or other platforms like Avail and Buildium. Good luck!