• Engineer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
4 plex with a smelly public area

Richard Porras
  • Engineer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Nov 13 2022, 07:36

I am a landlord that lives in unit 4 of his 4 plex and rents out the other 3units. About 2-3 days ago I noticed a smell in the common area(hallway) when I walk by unit 2. This person has not been around for 2-3 months because her dad past away, but the rent keeps showing up (when I ask). I am not sure but I think the smell is coming from unit 2. How should I go about addressing this issue?

User Stats

Votes
Greg R.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Nov 13 2022, 07:42

So you are in communication with the tenant? If so I'd alert her that you need to enter the unit and ask for permission. If she's not around I'd imagine she wouldn't have a problem with it. If she doesn't agree send her a notice to enter the premise (whatever the requirement is in your state). Could be a water leak, mildew smell? 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 13 2022, 10:39

Dead pet? Unflushed toilet? I’ve been empty houses were pee alone wrecked the smell of an entire house. Maybe she left in a hurry. 

Look uo the required notice and give it. You need to enter for safety/health issues that could affect other tenants. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Mcginn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Bernardino, CA
Replied Nov 13 2022, 11:00

"Hey (insert name), just checking in. I noticed a smell in the hallway that seems to be coming from your place. Let me know if you want me to check on anything for you in the apartment or take the trash out if needed. Best wishes, Richard"

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 13 2022, 11:18
Quote from @Richard Porras:

I am a landlord that lives in unit 4 of his 4 plex and rents out the other 3units. About 2-3 days ago I noticed a smell in the common area(hallway) when I walk by unit 2. This person has not been around for 2-3 months because her dad past away, but the rent keeps showing up (when I ask). I am not sure but I think the smell is coming from unit 2. How should I go about addressing this issue?

Contact the tenant and let them know of the odor. It's probably some forgotten trash or something. Let them know you need it cleaned/aired out. If they are unable to do it, tell them you will enter the apartment and do it for them. Charge them a reasonable fee for your time/trouble.

You may also use this as an opportunity to confirm their intent to return.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Richard Porras
  • Engineer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 14 2022, 11:27

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Richard Porras
  • Engineer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 14 2022, 11:27
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Contact the tenant and let them know of the odor. It's probably some forgotten trash or something. Let them know you need it cleaned/aired out. If they are unable to do it, tell them you will enter the apartment and do it for them. Charge them a reasonable fee for your time/trouble.

You may also use this as an opportunity to confirm their intent to return.

Thanks for all your support! As an update I was able to get ahold of the person and get permission to enter the apt. Their power was shut off and a whole refrigerator FULL of food is spoiled. I indicated that was something I was not interested in cleaning. The person said they would come home and clean it, but have not shown up yet. How long should I allow this?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 14 2022, 14:25

If it were a single-family home, I may give them 1-2 days. On a multi-family, I want it cleaned immediately before it disturbs the neighbors. I would contact the Tenant and let them know you are cleaning out the food, trash, or anything else causing an odor or potentially attracting pests. Charge the tenant for your costs and send them an invoice.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Nov 14 2022, 14:47

Why was the power cut off, if they are failing to maintain utilities this is a serious issue now that it is getting colder as you don't want pipes to freeze.  If the fridge is full of moldy food to the point where you can smell it in the hallway I'm not sure that fridge can be salvaged and may just be junk at this point.  I'd need this fixed ASAP and get verification that the electric is turned back on.  There is absolutely no way I'd open that fridge again but I have a weak stomach and would most likely throw it away just to avoid the filth inside it.  

User Stats

Votes
Mark Jones
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Dec 7 2022, 08:40

Hire a company to clean it and bill the tenant for it.  Also make sure the utilities are turned on before winter and the pipes burst!  

PMI Midwest Logo