Michelle Kalisz
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Asking tenant to leave for repairs/permanent removal

Michelle Kalisz
  • New York City, NY
Posted Nov 16 2022, 18:10

Hi folks,

First post here.  Like a lot of investors my tenants had trouble paying their rent during the pandemic— understandably so, and I did not do much all of 2020-2021.  A little rental assistance here, but definitely 1000s behind.  Since they were good tenants before the shut down, I had good faith and assumed they would pay rent when things went back to normal.

long story short, it’s November 2022 and I’m going 7-8 months this year with no payment.  I have two open evictions in other buildings and wouldn’t mind filing again, but the problem is the courts are so backed up, I haven’t even gotten a date for a May filing, which sounds like could be over a year from now.

coincidentally, the non-paying tenant’s bathroom bathtub broke, we tore up the floors and there is heavy mold.  You can imagine how unexcited  I am to pay 10k to fix her bathroom.  Since the apt would be uninhabitable while we are fixing and clearing the mold, do you think there’s a way to also remove the tenant? There is no active lease, and I was thinking she could reapply for entry otherwise it would be trespassing.  Has anyone had experience with this?? 

Many thanks,

Michelle

Loading replies...