Michelle Kalisz
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Asking tenant to leave for repairs/permanent removal

Michelle Kalisz
  • New York City, NY
Posted Nov 16 2022, 18:10

Hi folks,

First post here.  Like a lot of investors my tenants had trouble paying their rent during the pandemic— understandably so, and I did not do much all of 2020-2021.  A little rental assistance here, but definitely 1000s behind.  Since they were good tenants before the shut down, I had good faith and assumed they would pay rent when things went back to normal.

long story short, it’s November 2022 and I’m going 7-8 months this year with no payment.  I have two open evictions in other buildings and wouldn’t mind filing again, but the problem is the courts are so backed up, I haven’t even gotten a date for a May filing, which sounds like could be over a year from now.

coincidentally, the non-paying tenant’s bathroom bathtub broke, we tore up the floors and there is heavy mold.  You can imagine how unexcited  I am to pay 10k to fix her bathroom.  Since the apt would be uninhabitable while we are fixing and clearing the mold, do you think there’s a way to also remove the tenant? There is no active lease, and I was thinking she could reapply for entry otherwise it would be trespassing.  Has anyone had experience with this?? 

Many thanks,

Michelle

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Nov 16 2022, 18:28

I'd just get them to move out.  There is zero reason at this point that they can't find a job and pay the rent other than they don't want to.  If they won't move out, start the eviction.  She is NOT a good tenant if she continues not to pay the rent.  After the renos are done, get a new tenant.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 17 2022, 05:08
Quote from @Michelle Kalisz:

You made the mistake of training our tenant to make excuses and avoid paying rent.

Nobody has been without money during COVID. Most people that lost their jobs were actually making significantly more through unemployment increases, government handouts, free rental assistance, and more. I have tenants that lost their job during the first shut-down that stopped paying rent. I kicked them out and three months later saw them driving their first brand-new car. I have Tenants fully capable of working, but they've been somehow claiming unemployment and getting COVID money to pay their rent for the past 12 months! Employers are begging for workers and wages are up. My 18-year-old kid was making $18.50 an hour stocking shelves at Walmart and $17 an hour at McDonalds, both entry-level jobs that anyone can get, and both paid enough that he could afford any 2-bedroom apartment in town. With one roommate he could afford a decent house. Meanwhile, I still see grown adults complaining our town is unaffordable or using the COVID excuse and the government keeps subsidizing their bad behavior.

I recommend you take control of your rental. COVID money is drying up so her opportunity to live free is gone. Get her out, renovate, find a tenant that takes personal responsibility and earns their way through life, and learn how to stand up to tenants that make excuses for why they can't adult.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.