• Investor
  • Marne, MI
Votes |
Muskegon - ordinance for use property mgmt based on distance away

Jeff Ryan
  • Investor
  • Marne, MI
Posted Nov 17 2022, 09:27

This question pertaining to Muskegon, Michigan specifically, but would be interested to hear if other locales might have something similar:

Does anyone know if it is a City of Muskegon law/ordinance having to use a property management company (vs. self management) for your rental property, if your primary residence is 30+ miles away?  I could have swore I heard that somewhere along the way, but not entirely sure now it is an absolute rule.  I am right on that bubble actually, and am considering options.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 17 2022, 13:56

@Jeff Ryan uhm, why don't you go to the city website and look?

Here it is - https://muskegon-mi.gov/cresou...

User Stats

Votes
Caleb VanTimmeren
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Rapids
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Rapids
Replied Nov 18 2022, 04:17

@Jeff Ryan, yes that is true from last I knew.  PM me if you want my solution to the getting around that. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Ryan
  • Investor
  • Marne, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marne, MI
Replied Nov 18 2022, 05:14

@Drew Sygit  Thank you, that must have been where I saw it before and what I was looking for.  I was just looking for a point to that, thanks again.  @Caleb VanTimmeren, thanks for the reply, and I would be interested to discuss.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Nov 19 2022, 18:29

@Jeff Ryan We have a similar requirement but look at the details we have to have a resident agent for service of process/legal documents who must be open during normal business hours.  I have a service that is like $50/ year.  That office has more hours than my PM did. Some places may actually require a in state physical contact.

User Stats

Votes
Randy Charboneau
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grandville, MI
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grandville, MI
Replied Nov 22 2022, 17:58
Quote from @Jeff Ryan:

This question pertaining to Muskegon, Michigan specifically, but would be interested to hear if other locales might have something similar:

Does anyone know if it is a City of Muskegon law/ordinance having to use a property management company (vs. self management) for your rental property, if your primary residence is 30+ miles away?  I could have swore I heard that somewhere along the way, but not entirely sure now it is an absolute rule.  I am right on that bubble actually, and am considering options.  Thanks!

This is the ordinance here, yes.  This is the snippet from the City Ordinance Building Code.  You can see the full code here:  Muskegon Building Code

I have worked with several Prop Mgt Companies in Muskegon and they have their pros and cons.  So far my investors have had good luck with them overall.  You can send me a message if you'd like to to talk about some of my experiences with them.

• Real Estate Agent Michigan (#6506045903)

INDEPENDENCE REALTY Logo