Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Donato
Votes |
What is the best way to find somebody to keep an eye on my rental, but not a PM?

Vincent Donato
Posted Jan 24 2023, 06:10

I have a rental duplex in Ohio which I was doing very well managing myself. Work brought me back to New York so I was forced to hire a property manager.

That didn't go very well. For reasons I will not get into, I fired him. I'm capable of managing the property myself from New York, filling vacancies, calling for maintenance, etc. 

I want to continue to manage the property myself, but I want to hire somebody to do simple things such as viewings, respond to small issues from tenants and address the problem, etc. How do I go about finding somebody like this, and what would you pay them?

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied Jan 24 2023, 06:51

Hey @Vincent Donato

Welcome back to NY!

Depending on the things you need help with, I'd recommend checking out taskrabbit.com

Upwork & fiverr may have some additional options for you but most of the freelancers here work on more admin, marketing and design related tasks.

• Real Estate Agent NY (#10401295960)

REbuild Team - eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jan 24 2023, 12:02
Quote from @Vincent Donato:

I have a rental duplex in Ohio which I was doing very well managing myself. Work brought me back to New York so I was forced to hire a property manager.

That didn't go very well. For reasons I will not get into, I fired him. I'm capable of managing the property myself from New York, filling vacancies, calling for maintenance, etc. 

I want to continue to manage the property myself, but I want to hire somebody to do simple things such as viewings, respond to small issues from tenants and address the problem, etc. How do I go about finding somebody like this, and what would you pay them?

I have been doing business there for 10 years 1ks of move in and outs and PM. If you think you can do this all alone, you are sadly mistaken, you will get" hurt " bad. Tenants in Cleveland are pros at living for free, they know the system. You need repairs done the same day, at a good price What if you do not get it done right away and the tenant calls the city and starts putting her money in escrow, do you know what to do ?  You need evictions filed for a fair price, you need to replace the tenants, who's going to meet them?  Walk the properties and more.  What are you going to do when the tenant screams " my son has led in  his blood " Or I can't pay the rent I got in a car accident " Do you know how to deal with EDEN or Sec 8, ?  Or YOUR tree fell on my car , you owe me money " . Sewer is backing up; I want you to put me up in a hotel" Do you know how much it will cost to replace the sewer? 

The 80 BUX a month for PM is meaningless. I read posts all the time, of terrible stories,,,,,

NOBODY is going to jump when you call them, everyone is much too busy. You need a team.  

rethink and get a new PM 

Good luck 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adah N.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 24 2023, 12:40
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

I have been doing business there for 10 years 1ks of move in and outs and PM. If you think you can do this all alone, you are sadly mistaken, you will get" hurt " bad. Tenants in Cleveland are pros at living for free, they know the system. You need repairs done the same day, at a good price What if you do not get it done right away and the tenant calls the city and starts putting her money in escrow, do you know what to do ?  You need evictions filed for a fair price, you need to replace the tenants, who's going to meet them?  Walk the properties and more.  What are you going to do when the tenant screams " my son has led in  his blood " Or I can't pay the rent I got in a car accident " Do you know how to deal with EDEN or Sec 8, ?  Or YOUR tree fell on my car , you owe me money " . Sewer is backing up; I want you to put me up in a hotel" Do you know how much it will cost to replace the sewer? 

The 80 BUX a month for PM is meaningless. I read posts all the time, of terrible stories,,,,,

NOBODY is going to jump when you call them, everyone is much too busy. You need a team.  

rethink and get a new PM 

Good luck 

Where do they have PM for $80/month?

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jan 24 2023, 12:42

@Vincent Donato
You want a property manager that you don't have to pay as a property manager. There really is not way around using a PM. If you cut corners on who manages the property you will get what you pay for. Having a contractor be your PM for the cheap is a recipe for crashing and burning. 

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 24 2023, 12:52

So you are good to handle the management yourself, except for things like showing units to tenants, responding to tenant issues, and fixing problems as they occur? 

Lol. Dawg, this ain't gonna work. That's like saying I am an all-star baseball player except for the fact that I am not in the MLB, I can't run, catch or throw, and I don't know how to hit a ball.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jan 24 2023, 12:53
Quote from @Adah N.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

rethink and get a new PM 

Good luck 

Where do they have PM for $80/month?

Rent 15k x 8%   1200 a year, I was just rounding off, ok so 100 a month still meaningless. Up or down 20- 30 bux again irrelevant.  MUCH more costly not to have a team that knows how to do business there. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jan 24 2023, 12:55
Quote from @James Wise:

So you are good to handle the management yourself, except for things like showing units to tenants, responding to tenant issues, and fixing problems as they occur? Lol. Dawg, this ain't gonna work.

Fun fact about me. I am an all-star baseball player except for the fact that I am not in the MLB, I can't catch, and I don't know how to hit a ball.

LMAO , love it James,,,,,,,, 

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jan 24 2023, 13:02

Honestly, you need a PM- probably not the one you had before, but work to vet someone properly. 

The truth is that remote, self management is easy until it isn't. When it gets to that point, it will be very costly in money, time, stress or all three. These boards are littered with two types of self managers- those who have been lucky so far and those who have learned the lessons the hard way. 

Think of PM like insurance- it sucks paying that bill when you don't have any need for it, but when your basement floods, you'll be glad you have it. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Fontaine
  • Property Manager
Votes |
  • Property Manager
Replied Jan 24 2023, 13:08

It sounds like you had a bad experience with a property manager. I am sorry to hear that. However, to ensure your asset is protected well - you will want to get a property manager. A good one that you vibe with and who gets the job done. It will cost you more in the long run if an emergency comes up and you have nothing in place. 

A good property manager should be able to make your headaches go away. No late night calls. No soul sucking tenants. Someone keeping eyes on the building regularly. For example at our company we visit all our multi-fam buildings on a monthly basis to assess and make sure things are still good. That's on top of the regular day to day things.

If you really need another option, then a good realtor who will drive by the place routinely, place tenants for you, etc would be helpful... That said, that is a stones throw away from a good PM and it will probably be short lived, especially if the realtor gets busy.

User Stats

Votes
Hersh Shah
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 24 2023, 13:11

Hi @Vincent Donato,

Look into Hemlane. I haven't personally used the service, but have looked into it in the past. The idea is that their team does all of the not so fun stuff with management for a cost that is usually much cheaper than hiring a property manager. PM is usually the best way to go, but this is an alternate resource for those that need it.

• Real Estate Agent Georgia (#396080)

Hersh Shah Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Adriaan Sierra
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Replied Jan 24 2023, 16:50

seems like you are about to pick some pennies in front of the steam roller...

However, If you plan to do this, you need to heavily vet the tenants. Maybe make sure they are rock solid and they report issues on time. You might be able to self sustain that way, using task rabbit some of the trivial task.

However, this doesn't work with an eviction or filling a vacancy. For that you will probably need to travel

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 24 2023, 20:59

Hire a PM, take the time on the front end and vet them. 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2023, 00:25
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

rethink and get a new PM 

Good luck 

If 80 bux is a problem maybe we're not investor after all. The PM is so critical component it's almost impossible to replace, I do not believe DIY story when managing remote, especially OOS in class C and above.

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Donato
Votes |
Replied Jan 25 2023, 08:02

Okay so instead of replying to everybody I'll make a general reply.

I have a team of contacts available in the area to handle issues. I self managed my property for years before moving away, I'm completely aware of what goes into property management. I travel back to the area frequently and can handle vacancies, scheduling maintenance, repairs, etc.

I'm just looking for a general person who can answer a call and address an issue. Yes I understand that is hard to come by somebody who will prioritize your time to make it over there, which is why I'm asking for the advice.

If you think a property manager is $80 a month I'm not really sure what world you're living in. If both my units turned over in a year I'd be paying the property manager $6,160/year...$513.33/month. That is between monthly payments and costs for filling vacancies. 

I appreciate responses suggesting to find a better property manager, but there's no need to call me cheap. This is a business, we're all here to make money and maximize profits. This forum is for helping others build their best strategy that works for them, not telling them it's wrong. Plenty of people self manage from out of state, it is not impossible if done correctly.

I'm not sure what a sewer backing up and me knowing how much it costs relates to how close I live to my property. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:12

@Vincent Donato

If you're going to be out of state - just find a better PM. Sounds like your first one just wasn't a good fit. 

Reafco - Columbus, OH  Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 25 2023, 12:12

I have a team of contacts available in the area to handle issues. I self managed my property for years before moving away, I'm completely aware of what goes into property management. I travel back to the area frequently and can handle vacancies, scheduling maintenance, repairs, etc.

I'm just looking for a general person who can answer a call and address an issue. Yes I understand that is hard to come by somebody who will prioritize your time to make it over there, which is why I'm asking for the advice.

If you think a property manager is $80 a month I'm not really sure what world you're living in. If both my units turned over in a year I'd be paying the property manager $6,160/year...$513.33/month. That is between monthly payments and costs for filling vacancies. 

I appreciate responses suggesting to find a better property manager, but there's no need to call me cheap. This is a business, we're all here to make money and maximize profits. This forum is for helping others build their best strategy that works for them, not telling them it's wrong. Plenty of people self manage from out of state, it is not impossible if done correctly.

I'm not sure what a sewer backing up and me knowing how much it costs relates to how close I live to my property. 

If you go into an open forum asking how you can hire a guy to do the job of a Property Manager, without having to pay him like a Property Manager, I don't think you're gonna be able to avoid being called out for being cheap.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 25 2023, 16:57

Start your own Property Management Company!

It's sooooo easy!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 11 2023, 14:15

Good afternoon I’m a local PM in the Cleveland market and would love the opportunity to connect and build a relationship 

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 12 2023, 20:07

There's a lot of awful property management companies in the area, I know, I've worked with several of them.  Legit sleazebags with no business sense or honor.  Feel free to let me know if you need some help with anything I'm an agent / broker in the area and can help out as needed!  

User Stats

Votes
Adah N.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 12 2023, 21:14

A BP guest Asamoa I think was his name, has an assistant instead of a property manager. He trains his assistant to manage his properties his way. I think you need more than a handful for this though. 

My two cents - a well maintained property with well screened tenants can be very efficiently self managed. One of my tenants has had 3 service calls in 9 months. First call was a brand new cooktop not properly hooked up, called contractor who installed, he came by the next day to fix. Second call was for water heater, tenant texted a few hours later and said it was working. 3rd call was for water heater again about 6 weeks later, sent the plumber to go replace, it was 14 years old anyway.  

I have a plumber and handyman on speed dial and my lawncare guy serves as a second pair of eyes. Use Zillow to advertise, Open House style to show a couple times a week, Zillow and/or Avail to screen tenants and Avail to collect rent and handle service request. I will call a lawyer if I need to evict, that is probably what a property manager will do and bill me anyway.

For me a property manager is not needed at this time. From all the complaints here on BP and the For Rent ads I see on Zillow, it sounds like good ones are needles in a haystack.