Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Nolan Linebaugh
Votes |
HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF WHILE INVESTING IN STATES LIKE MICHIGAN

Nolan Linebaugh
Posted Mar 6 2023, 12:31

I've heard a lot of talk that Michigan is more tenant friendly than landlord friendly and it can often be hard to evict a non-paying tenant in states like this. How does one best protect themselves from issues like this? 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Mar 6 2023, 14:46

@Nolan Linebaugh Michigan is NOT as tenant-friendly as California, Washington, New York and many others.

We're probably middle of the road at worst.

You just have to know the laws & the process to avoid tenants dragging things out.

User Stats

Votes
Nolan Linebaugh
Votes |
Replied Mar 6 2023, 15:25

Thanks Drew. Whats the best way you recommend for me to learn the laws and the process for avoiding lengthly evictions?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 6 2023, 16:11

@Nolan Linebaugh

Get a really good property manager - does not matter the state - a good PM keeps the gray hairs away

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 6 2023, 16:50

@Nolan Linebaugh

You can look at https://www.hemlane.com/resour... and pick the state of interest. It will give you a rough idea on which way the state leans.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Paling
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gwinn, MI
Votes |
  • Gwinn, MI
Replied Mar 7 2023, 16:23

If you're investing in Michigan, you should check out the practical guide for tenants and landlords. 

tenantlandlord.pdf (mi.gov)

User Stats

Votes
DJ Rivera
  • Nationwide
Votes |
  • Nationwide
Replied Apr 24 2023, 12:13
Quote from @Kass Farran:

@Nolan Linebaugh

You can look at https://www.hemlane.com/resour... and pick the state of interest. It will give you a rough idea on which way the state leans.

this is definitely a great resource

User Stats

Votes
DJ Rivera
  • Nationwide
Votes |
  • Nationwide
Replied Apr 24 2023, 12:27
Quote from @Nolan Linebaugh:

I've heard a lot of talk that Michigan is more tenant friendly than landlord friendly and it can often be hard to evict a non-paying tenant in states like this. How does one best protect themselves from issues like this? 

The City of Detroit is one of the most tenant-friendly places I've run into and I invest in a handful of states and cities w/in MI. Judges are even removing names of tenants from evictions so it won't show up on their eviction history. Had it happen with my most recent eviction. Also it usually takes around 2 months to get a court date. Had a tenant no show the zoom call then claimed they were "late", judge overturned his ruling and allowed for another court date. This gave the tenant another 2 months rent free before the next court date. Then tenant said he needed more time to move at court date (now 4 months later) and judge gave him another month to move. It really is a joke. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Leysen
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oaland County MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oaland County MI
Replied Apr 24 2023, 14:40
Quote from @DJ Rivera:
Quote from @Nolan Linebaugh:

The City of Detroit is one of the most tenant-friendly places I've run into and I invest in a handful of states and cities w/in MI. Judges are even removing names of tenants from evictions so it won't show up on their eviction history. Had it happen with my most recent eviction. Also it usually takes around 2 months to get a court date. Had a tenant no show the zoom call then claimed they were "late", judge overturned his ruling and allowed for another court date. This gave the tenant another 2 months rent free before the next court date. Then tenant said he needed more time to move at court date (now 4 months later) and judge gave him another month to move. It really is a joke. 

BEYOND A JOKE