• Member since May 15, 2023
Gustavo Nascimento
Pro Member
Votes |
Schlage Encode deadbolt locked me out of the house... brand new device

Gustavo Nascimento
Pro Member
Posted Oct 15 2023, 16:53

Hi there, I installed a brand new Schlage Encode lock in my rental property and at first it was working fine. After a few hours working fine, the deadbolt got stuck and I was stuck outside of the house, I couldn't unlock the door even with the key. Something was holding the deadbolt stuck in place. I got inside the house through the backdoor, then I removed the lock and I was able to unlock the deadbolt with a screwdriver. I put it together again but it got stuck again after a few minutes. I did the same thing all over again (removing it, unlocking with screwdriver, reinstalling it) but it kept getting stuck. Has anyone experienced this before? I tried searching the Schlage support page but couldn't find any solution for that. Thanks !

JD Martin's profile image
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • from Northeast, TN
  • Member since Jul 6, 2015

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin's profile image
  • from Northeast, TN
  • Member since Jul 6, 2015
JD Martin
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Oct 15 2023, 17:00
Quote from @Gustavo Nascimento:

Hi there, I installed a brand new Schlage Encode lock in my rental property and at first it was working fine. After a few hours working fine, the deadbolt got stuck and I was stuck outside of the house, I couldn't unlock the door even with the key. Something was holding the deadbolt stuck in place. I got inside the house through the backdoor, then I removed the lock and I was able to unlock the deadbolt with a screwdriver. I put it together again but it got stuck again after a few minutes. I did the same thing all over again (removing it, unlocking with screwdriver, reinstalling it) but it kept getting stuck. Has anyone experienced this before? I tried searching the Schlage support page but couldn't find any solution for that. Thanks !

Did you try locking it with the door open? Is it getting stuck on itself, part of the door, or the opening in the door frame? If 2 or 3, you should be able to adjust it in the lockset hole. If 1, then either the lock is faulty or you've done something wrong putting it together. 
Gustavo Nascimento's profile image
Gustavo Nascimento
Pro Member

User Stats

Votes
Gustavo Nascimento's profile image
Gustavo Nascimento
Pro Member
Gustavo Nascimento
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 15 2023, 17:06

thanks @JD Martin, I tried it with the door open and problem persists, so it's getting stuck on itself. I may have done something wrong, but I can't figure out what... it's not the first Schlage that I installed, they are usually very straightforward. I'm contacting Amazon to get a replacement but in case someone has any idea of what could be the issue, it would be great. Thanks again !

BiggerPockets logo
Find an Investor-Friendly Agent
|
BiggerPockets
Match with a top investor-friendly agent who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal. Get started now!