User Stats

Votes
Aaron Landau
Votes |
Removing a tenet on subsudized housing

Aaron Landau
Posted Mar 18 2024, 13:31

Hey all!

I am making an offer on a multi-family home that has two units. I want both units delivered vacant as both units are a total mess and need a complete overhaul (new flooring, new bathrooms, kitchen, adding a washer/dryer/ etc). One unit is occupied by someone on Mass Housing and they have a lease lasting until November. 

I don't know anything about Mass Housing or subsidized housing laws. Is the process of getting this unit vacant the same as any other standard tenet? Can I simply let them know I do not intend to renew the lease in November, and if they stay it's a standard eviction process the same as a typical tenet?

I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself in a situation that will be a headache as far as inheriting a tenet who I cannot remove. 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Evans
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Mar 18 2024, 13:37

Following. Also considering letting go a Section 8 tenant here in Ohio. Not sure if that is allowed or what the procedure looks like. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Mar 18 2024, 18:27

@Aaron Landau  I don't know the answer to this but if you are not connected with Masslandlords.net might be a help. They may have some lawyer recommendations.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gerakos
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Apr 1 2024, 14:57

Tenant……

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 1 2024, 15:02

This is really a question for the housing authority, not here. You are in a politically liberal area so I would assume that the tenant stays. Otherwise many investors would buy, "kick out," and bring in higher paying tenants.

I think the better question is what's needed that is health and safety? You have guaranteed payments coming through and you can allocate your rehab dollars and buying another property on top of this one. As the units become vacant, then remodel and go for the higher rent. 

In the meantime, offer based on what the tenants are paying now. Alternatively, submit the offer with the SELLER removing the tenants, not you. Far less risk.