Skip to content
Canadian Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell P.
  • Investor
  • Brockville, Ontario
Votes |
Raising rents on month-to-month mobile home lot leases (Ontario)

Mitchell P.
  • Investor
  • Brockville, Ontario
Posted Oct 17 2016, 21:29
I'm evaluating a mobile home park in my area right now. The lot rents are half of what comparable parks are charging. The agent said that the tenants are month to month. I'm not sure if there are or ever were leases in place. 9 pads have tenant owned homes on them and 5 pads rent their home from the park. I know Canada had pretty strict rent increase laws. For this year the limit is a 2% increase. At this rate of increase it would take decades for me to get the lot fees up to market rates. I know I can raise the rent additional 3% per year for 3 years if I invest money into the park. What are my legal options for raising the rents 50%? Can I raise the rent more than 2% because they are month to month? Can I ask for a vacant park and then find new tenants? Can I pave the road or do another capital expenditure and then go the allowable 3% over the legal rent increase for 3 years? If I do that, does the 3% rent raise stay for ever or end after the 3%? Or does rent drop after the 3 years? Can I offer the tenants the option to sign a new lease and if they don't evict them since they are month-month? I'm looking for any options to get the rents up to market rates. Any info would be awesome.

Loading replies...