Matthew Davis
  • Ontario, Canada
Votes |
Canadian Real Estate Data Sources

Matthew Davis
  • Ontario, Canada
Posted Sep 19 2018, 18:17

Canadian REI Resources List 

So BP is amazing but I noticed that all data resources listed are tailored to the US. I wanted to start a thread with a compilation of the best resources for data / analysis / research in Canada for real estate investing. I'm starting with what I've found so far but I know this probably is missing many good resources. Let's pool together and make a master list of resources for REI data in Canada. Share the love and I'll update the list.

Property Search:

Rent Info:

Lending/Mortgage Rates:

Stats / Data:

Deal Analysis:

This list is nowhere near exhaustive. Let's at least double it. Please leave your suggestions below! :)

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Harrilal
  • Brampton, Ontario
Votes |
  • Brampton, Ontario
Replied Sep 19 2018, 19:28

hello,

I've used bungol.ca for GTA search, asking/sold, prop tax, condo fees and rent prices.  

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Davis
  • Ontario, Canada
Votes |
  • Ontario, Canada
Replied Sep 19 2018, 19:31
Originally posted by @Christopher Harrilal:

hello,

I've used bungol.ca for GTA search, asking/sold, prop tax, condo fees and rent prices.  

Awesome, thanks, Christopher! Unfortunately, the BP site won't let me update the original list after 15 minutes, only add revisions. Perhaps I'll post a link to a Google Spreadsheet with a full list.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Doug Pretorius
  • Investor
  • Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Replied Sep 19 2018, 20:41

Real Estate Sales Statistics:

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
ModeratorReplied Sep 20 2018, 04:21

We worked with Rentometer early on and found their data for Canada, particularly the Maritimes, was terrible.   Now they spam us on a regular basis trying to sell the same service, but the data at which we are able to look, is no more accurate.

In the U.S.A. markets were we dabble, I find them to be a useful service.

User Stats

Votes
Cody Weiss
  • Calgary
Votes |
  • Calgary
Replied Sep 20 2018, 11:27

Hi All, 

I don't think there is a centralized database for land, caveat and title information but in Alberta we use https://alta.registries.gov.ab.ca/spinii/logon.asp. I highly recommend that any investor in Canada  find a similar database as well.  @Matthew Davis thanks for compiling the list. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Davis
  • Ontario, Canada
Votes |
  • Ontario, Canada
Replied Sep 20 2018, 18:18

I created a google sheets list so I can keep updating it. If a mod comes across this post. Feel free to delete this thread. I am creating a new one to list the google sheets document.

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
ModeratorReplied Sep 21 2018, 19:24

@Matthew Davis

Another note.  Kijiji is more prevalent than Craigs list in much (perhaps all) of Canada for rental advertisements.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 30 2018, 05:41
@Matthew Davis Thanks for the great list, appreciate you itemizing everything in one place. Check out pinithome.com as another good source for sold data if you happen to be interested in buying or selling in the GTA (Toronto, Canada and surrounding suburbs)

User Stats

Votes
Carolyn Q.
Votes |
Replied Oct 15 2018, 14:08

Hi Matthew..
A request for your list please. I'm looking for insurance companies for rental income properties.
Cheers.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 15 2018, 14:46

Hi, I like the Property Evaluator App for a quick check, can change variables nicely for Canadian markets. As well, beware the inflated “average rent” stats in Padmapper because they include AirBnB listings...still good to use once u filter those out. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 31 2018, 18:37

Carolyn Q: Talk to Park Insurance in Burnaby, BC to see what they can do for you. They help real estate investors all across Canada.

Everyone: There is a free real estate investor public forum on myREINspace. I recommend becoming a member of REIN. This is a Canadian real estate investing network with training and workshops. I am a member only and gain nothing if anyone joins.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2023, 15:34

If anyone is still looking for another resource: doorinsight.com has rent estimates and visual maps on Canadian real estate data

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 13 2023, 12:41

@Matthew Davis Hi, I am also requesting the link to your Google sheet of resources for Canadian investors if you were able to put it together. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 19 2024, 19:28

brother... I'm an investor from Canada... And I love you.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2024, 10:45

great in Depth Real Estate Website for British Columbia.