Skip to content
First-Time Home Buyer

User Stats

Votes
Ali Rafie
Votes |
Best place in SoCal (south of OC) to SFH house hack?

Ali Rafie
Posted May 1 2022, 13:57

What are some of the best neighborhoods to look at for a SFH house hack? Looking to spend $700-$900k w/ a conventional loan. Mainly interested in the area between San Diego (including San Diego) to just south of Irvine. I've looked at properties in Escondido, San Marcos, and San Diego.

My criteria: 

- 5+ bed, 2.5+ bath

- C+ neighborhood

- Decent amount of young people (I'm in my mid 20's)

Anything else I should consider?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2022, 15:18

Ali, I'd consider Oceanside as well. Especially with a strong military presence from Camp Pendleton, you may have a continous supply of renters. I also like San Marcos, near the university for the same reason. You may have more turn over, but because you'll be living there and it might not be as problematic for you. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brock Dowis
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied May 1 2022, 19:17

Property taxes is something to keep in mind. For a home that size in that price range I think you may be in that in between space. Temecula, Murrieta, Wildomar, Corona, Moreno Valley kind of deal

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2022, 22:15

@Ali Rafie Santa Ana

User Stats

Votes
Ali Rafie
Votes |
Replied May 1 2022, 23:59
Quote from @Morgan Scott:

Ali, I'd consider Oceanside as well. Especially with a strong military presence from Camp Pendleton, you may have a continous supply of renters. I also like San Marcos, near the university for the same reason. You may have more turn over, but because you'll be living there and it might not be as problematic for you. Good luck!

Tough to find houses in my price range, but I'm looking consistently!

User Stats

Votes
Ali Rafie
Votes |
Replied May 2 2022, 00:00

There are some amazing properties in Murrieta. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/33408-Scarborough-Ln_Temecula_CA_92592_M13208-52402

User Stats

Votes
Doug Spence
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 2 2022, 09:02

@Ali Rafie I think Spring Valley and Lemon Grove might fit your criteria. Both are about 20 minutes east of San Diego. 

I'm currently house hacking a property in La Mesa. 

User Stats

Votes
Ali Rafie
Votes |
Replied May 2 2022, 09:18
Quote from @Doug Spence:

@Ali Rafie I think Spring Valley and Lemon Grove might fit your criteria. Both are about 20 minutes east of San Diego. 

I'm currently house hacking a property in La Mesa.

SFH? Or multi family? What kind of roommates do you have? 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Heuschele
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied May 2 2022, 18:20

I have two recommendations for long term hold south of OC and they are both based on potential appreciation:

- Imperial Beach is the cheapest beach property in the US for at least a few hundred miles.  There are multiple reasons for this.  One of the big ones is it has historically had runoff problems that closed the beach way too often.  For years Imperial Beach has been trying to work this international issue.  It has never been closer to having a long term solution than it is right now.  There is a very limited supply of property near the ocean.  This is the last reasonable priced properties near the ocean in Southern CA.  Hopefully in 5 years the runoff problem is history and the beaches are able to be open year round.
-West Chula Vista: Can you think of anywhere in So Cal where the Eastern part of the city is cheaper than near ocean/bay?   Chula Vista is that one area.  To make this even more likely to appreciate better than other areas, west Chula Vista already has financial approvals and have already started to complete a coastal redevelopment project.  In general, large redevelopment areas out perform other areas.  My guess is west Chula Vista is going to look a lot different a decade from now.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 5 2022, 16:48

I would say Oceanside or Vista for the C neighborhood sfh 700-800k, but fyi you can find a mult(under4) for that price point in vista.....Might be a better hack.

User Stats

Votes
Deidre Holliday
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Vista, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Vista, CA
Replied May 9 2022, 10:38

Vista is a hidden jewel in North County San Diego; prices are lower than the coastal communities, but it is just 7 miles inland and the weather is the best of both worlds; less marine layer than the coast,and more temperate than San Marcos, Escondido, etc. Your price point could definitely get you in there, but not sure about 5 beds. For example, one of the Vista developments has SFH's in the $800k range; 2/2 to 3/2.5, 1300-1800 sq.ft. The 3/2's rent in the $3.5k range. Best wishes and let me know if I can be of any help to you. The demographics are a mix of all age ranges. 🌸

User Stats

Votes
Mark Frattini
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 19 2022, 20:37

Hey @Ali Rafie

I missed your first post and you probably have already found out that a 5+ bedroom anywhere in San Diego under $900k is going to be difficult. If you can get by with a 4+ bedroom your options really open up. Make sure your MLS search includes homes with an office/den/office/bonus space/converted garage etc. that you could easily convert into an extra bedroom. This would be a great value add opportunity to create a home that otherwise would be out of budget. I would be looking at Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, East County, Spring Valley, Escondido and Oceanside. Best of luck with your search 👍

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 19 2022, 21:50

why not house hack a 2-4 instead given that price range?  Look in Vista/oceanside....you might find something that works for you and that has some value add opportunity if you wanted to add and adu or something?

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs