• New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
I have a few questions

Justin Williams
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Posted May 15 2022, 23:36

A friend of the family owns, free and clear, an abandoned SFH (1200sqft 4bed/1bath) in need of gut rehab. Currently 5 years behind on taxes (~10k in taxes owed). He wants to give me title to the property. How can I to tap into the equity after the property is fixed up and rented out if I have no proof of income? Can I use a HELOC/Cash-out ReFi to pull out my cash invested in the deal without proof of income? Should I put the property in my name for loan purposes then transfer it to my llc after I tap into equity? A few reasons I don't plan to fix and flip is I'd rather the 1)Passive income 2)Appreciation (The Obama library will be ~7-10 minutes away from the property) and 3) The property is free and clear

This is my first deal and I’m really trying to figure out the best route to take before I commit fully.

Thanks in advance BP family!

User Stats

Votes
Mark Gallagher
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Allentown, PA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Allentown, PA
Replied May 16 2022, 04:58

You're going to have a tough time, but not impossible time, getting a loan once the property is fixed up. There are some lenders out there who will do it. Depending on what the current numbers look like, it might make more sense to sell this one off, build some cash reserves. Or find a partner who is able to get loans a little easier and come up with a partnership to get the financing when completed.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Williams
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Replied May 16 2022, 07:15
Quote from @Mark Gallagher:

You're going to have a tough time, but not impossible time, getting a loan once the property is fixed up. There are some lenders out there who will do it. Depending on what the current numbers look like, it might make more sense to sell this one off, build some cash reserves. Or find a partner who is able to get loans a little easier and come up with a partnership to get the financing when completed.

The current ARV is 115k and the gut rehab ~35k. My credit is fair (680-690) and plus cash reserves in my bank. I could carry out the gut rehab alone and still have ~17k-18k still available. I do have a couple partners in circulation who can get financing and wouldn’t mind partnering this deal with me. But considering the partnership route how should we take title? Would my partner take title then after rehab and financing is done we put title in our partnership? Or just straight into the partnership entity? 

Thanks Mark G. for a quick response
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied May 16 2022, 07:56

You're not going to be able to get a conventional cash out refi loan or a HELOC if you have no income.

How do you have no income to show? Sounds like you have a great deal in front of you so I'd hate to see you give up 50% of the cash flow just because you have no income right now. Once you're employed it will be much easier to secure financing for this place.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Williams
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Replied May 16 2022, 10:40
Quote from @Scott E.:

You're not going to be able to get a conventional cash out refi loan or a HELOC if you have no income.

How do you have no income to show? Sounds like you have a great deal in front of you so I'd hate to see you give up 50% of the cash flow just because you have no income right now. Once you're employed it will be much easier to secure financing for this place.

I have no proof of income due to legal issues that I just overcame late Jan 2022. Yes, it's a great deal with a nice buffer for the unexpected. I chose to go straight towards real estate because I have reserves and I didn't want to wait two years before starting my real estate journey. So what do you think about this scenario.. Putting the property in a partners name who wouldn't have a problem getting a HELOC/Cash-out ReFi.Then, after we get financing we deed the property into our partnership entity and split cash flow 50%.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied May 16 2022, 11:27
Quote from @Justin Williams:
Quote from @Scott E.:

I have no proof of income due to legal issues that I just overcame late Jan 2022. Yes, it's a great deal with a nice buffer for the unexpected. I chose to go straight towards real estate because I have reserves and I didn't want to wait two years before starting my real estate journey. So what do you think about this scenario.. Putting the property in a partners name who wouldn't have a problem getting a HELOC/Cash-out ReFi.Then, after we get financing we deed the property into our partnership entity and split cash flow 50%.

What you're describing is fine in theory, and would accomplish what you're looking to accomplish.

But make sure to talk to your loan officer about what's called a "due on sale clause." I've never seen this actually happen, but technically most lenders can call your loan due if you transfer ownership from your name into an LLC.

User Stats

Votes
Tchaka Owen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Replied May 16 2022, 11:31
Quote from @Scott E.:

But make sure to talk to your loan officer about what's called a "due on sale clause." I've never seen this actually happen, but technically most lenders can call your loan due if you transfer ownership from your name into an LLC.

Nope. There was a law put in place in 1982 (if I recall). Bottom line: if you're paying your mortgage on time, no one will bother you.

User Stats

Votes
Tchaka Owen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Replied May 16 2022, 11:36
The current ARV is 115k and the gut rehab ~35k. My credit is fair (680-690) and plus cash reserves in my bank. I could carry out the gut rehab alone and still have ~17k-18k still available. I do have a couple partners in circulation who can get financing and wouldn’t mind partnering this deal with me. But considering the partnership route how should we take title? Would my partner take title then after rehab and financing is done we put title in our partnership? Or just straight into the partnership entity? 

1. Congrats! This seems like an awesome opportunity.

2. Based on what you've written, rehab and tax payments will set you back $50k. This means you'll have tons of equity.

3. Look at a non-QM lender that will focus on the property (instead of you). Yes, your rate will be a little higher, but so what? 

4. Worst case scenario in which you can't get your money out immediately, it's highly likely that you'll have significant positive cashflow that will keep you going until you reach the point where your other stuff is ironed out.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dalton King
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied May 16 2022, 13:57

Hey Justin, I read your post and all the responses. I have another idea that might work for you. I am using a Debt Service Coverage Ratio loan (DSCR) to buy a multifamily property because I have no income. The loan is based on the properties ability to pay the debt of the home. As long as the NOI is at least 10%-50% more than the annual expenses. You can qualify for the loan. (and credit score).

This way you wouldn't need a partner. 

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Williams
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Replied May 16 2022, 20:05
Quote from @Tchaka Owen:

1. Congrats! This seems like an awesome opportunity.

2. Based on what you've written, rehab and tax payments will set you back $50k. This means you'll have tons of equity.

3. Look at a non-QM lender that will focus on the property (instead of you). Yes, your rate will be a little higher, but so what? 

4. Worst case scenario in which you can't get your money out immediately, it's highly likely that you'll have significant positive cashflow that will keep you going until you reach the point where your other stuff is ironed out.

Good luck!

Tchaka, thanks for the insight and I appreciate the love! Definitely will be looking into non-QM lenders to use for the refinance and yes I have tons of equity(65k). Enough equity that a cash-out ReFi will almost double my cash invested in the property.

Thanks again! 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Williams
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Replied May 16 2022, 20:50
Quote from @Dalton King:

Hey Justin, I read your post and all the responses. I have another idea that might work for you. I am using a Debt Service Coverage Ratio loan (DSCR) to buy a multifamily property because I have no income. The loan is based on the properties ability to pay the debt of the home. As long as the NOI is at least 10%-50% more than the annual expenses. You can qualify for the loan. (and credit score).

This way you wouldn't need a partner. 

Hope this helps!

Wow, nice one! Tomorrow I will begin to search for DSCR lenders doing business in/near Chicago. Most likely I'll end up taking this route to refinance! Just a couple questions,, Did your DSCR lender speak about a minimum loan amount for a refinance? And will DSCR lenders lend if title is in my LLC or does title have to be in my name? Also, I want to wish you the best on your investment journey as well.

This information helped tremendously!

User Stats

Votes
Dalton King
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied May 17 2022, 07:48

Glad I could help! I haven't spoken to him about a refinance because I plan on doing that with a conventional mortgage when the time comes. You would need at least an 20-30% of equity to refinance from what I have heard. 

As for the LLC. I am 99.95% sure you can use the dscr loan with an LLC.

Thank you, I wish you the best as well!