Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Use seller financing/ subject 2 as I'm unable to qualify for loan

Edwin Machado
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Jun 28 2022, 18:30

Hello BP community I am a new want to be investor out of Oakland CA ready to put my time in and break into RE investing by doing either flips or wholesaling but first... I would like to leave the world of renting and be an owner of my own home so that myself and my family are not renting. I do not qualify for an FHA loan as I do not have 2 years work history at my current job and do not have substantial income.I have great credit and don't have major debts under my name (except co signing on my cousins car 4 months ago). Working full time and part time to continue saving up money for now but as it is I am willing to be a homebuyer using one of the methods above, here in Oakland (I live in the Saint Elizabeth area) or anywhere else in the East Bay. Has anyone had luck using these methods? I am considering using Batchleads to look up owners with equity after driving for dollars in neighborhoods I would consider living in and using a contract off of Ryan Pineda's course to secure a deal and go from there. Good luck to you all and any help will be tremendous thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Osazee Edebiri
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 12:54

Hello Edwin and welcome to investing.

Flips and wholesaling are great, I would say they are more methods of generating income similar to your W2 job. 

Have you already tried to get a pre-approval with a lender? You can still potentially qualify for a loan without 2 years work experience. 

Then I would recommend house hacking for your first investment because you can do lower money down owner occupied loan. Gaining rental income and appreciation from the new home you purchase.

The David Greene Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Erik Browning
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Replied Jun 30 2022, 13:26

Hi @Edwin Machado you might be able to qualify for a primary residence using a USDA loan. This is zero down option that you can qualify with just outside The Bay. Have you explored that in addition to your seller financing/Sub2 journey?

• Lender

• (707) 595-7574
FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jul 3 2022, 16:40

You should always be ready and open to seller financing or some sort of creative financing. Even if you can get a loan with 20% down, why would you if you could save that cash and take over someone's payments. Remember finding an owner willing to finance is pretty tough, but maybe a sub-to is something that you might find. They are tough to find, but I always ask when making offers. You never know!!