• New York
Votes |
New Investor in Columbus Ohio

Barak Yakobovich
  • Investor
  • New York
Posted Jul 10 2022, 06:40

Hi Everyone,

My name is Barak, and I am new to real estate investing. I Did my research and decided to invest in Columbus.

My plan is to start out by purchasing SFHs, in a C class (and above) areas with a budget of 120K (All in), 

And in addition my plan is to run a wholesaling business (starting with sms campaign).

Can anyone provide some tips for me?

Any special or unusual RE rules that I should be aware of at Ohio?

What are the best neighborhoods to invest in for buy&hold?

What are the worst (high crime areas)that I should stay away from ?

I would love to connect with agents and wholesalers that work with investors.

Thank you for your help.

Barak

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 10 2022, 07:50
Quote from @Barak Yakobovich:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Barak, and I am new to real estate investing. I Did my research and decided to invest in Columbus.

My plan is to start out by purchasing SFHs, in a C class (and above) areas with a budget of 120K (All in), 

And in addition my plan is to run a wholesaling business (starting with sms campaign).

Thank you for your help.

Barak

Columbus, Ohio is a great market to invest in. The population has been growing here year over year over the last decade, it is home to The Ohio State University which has over 50,000 students that live here along with those that visit, and it also holds a diverse range of young professionals and traveling nurses to fill the demand of the multiple business corporations and hospitals stationed here. The appreciation rate in Columbus has been 8% higher than the national average over the last year. Tech companies are continuously moving here and establishing a footprint in Columbus as well. Intel is a great example, who is building the largest chip manufacturing plant in the US right here, and it will be a $20 billion dollar investment that brings a few new thousand jobs.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/business/2022/01/21/intel-ohio-building-computer-chip-factories-licking-county-jersey-township/9173472002/

Another example of economic growth is the upcoming Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Inpatient Hospital which is a 1.9million square foot hospital that will bring over 800 new beds and a thousand new jobs.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/new-osu-hospital-expected-to-transform-health-care

Here are a few more recent investments

https://www.10tv.com/article/money/business/hydrogen-power-company-hyperion-bringing-700-jobs-to-columbus/530-25907aab-5517-4661-a9f3-d2ed2d5be6b0

https://news.wosu.org/news/2022-02-08/rumpke-to-build-50-million-recycling-facility-in-columbus

Check out The Complete Guide to the Columbus, Ohio Real Estate Market which goes through the Columbus, Ohio market in depth and will give you a better scope of where the highest levels of growth are taking place and where to look to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Trent Ecklar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 10 2022, 11:03

Pleasure meeting on BiggerPockets! We hold 48 units in Central Ohio and have been pleased with the outcome thus far. We should connect. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Stewart
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pickerington, OH
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pickerington, OH
Replied Jul 10 2022, 11:38

@Barak Yakobovich  Columbus is a great place to invest and you'll find no shortage of Realtors ready to tell you that.  But just a little reality check for you.  Columbus is ultra competitive right now.  Wholesalers who are having steady success are spending a LOT of money each and every month on marketing.  They have teams of people working deals 7 days a week.  This isn't to discourage you, but know what you're up against.  You're going to have a lot of competition.

Next, it's not going to be easy to find deals in C neighborhoods for $120k.  Most of what you see at that price range is in Linden or Hilltop, and those are D class neighborhoods.  I'm broad brushing it a bit but those are also high crime areas that I have always avoided.  There are C class neighborhoods in 43232 and 43207, but it's going to be tough to find anything at the price range you indicated.  If you can bump your price range up to $150k you'll have more options in better areas.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Steed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 10 2022, 14:23

Welcome to the Columbus market! I personally like following the big developments in town and riding the wave. We have 14 units under construction in town and still moving. Open to connecting and talking more.

User Stats

Votes
Austin McClain
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ohio
Replied Jul 10 2022, 16:42

Congrats on making the jump! For your goals and price range, I would recommend looking into South Linden and Hilltop. 

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 11 2022, 08:19

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Barak

North Linden, South of Main, Vassor Village, Woodland Park, MT Vernon, Milo-Grogan, Franklinton, Merrion Village, Hungarian Village, Southern Orchards, Driving Park, Olde Towne East, Franklin Park, King Lincoln, Old Oaks, Livingston Park are all but not limited to some areas in Columbus, Ohio I think will gentrify quickly and make for great long term buy and holds.

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 15 2022, 18:45

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Barak

I agree with @Austin McClain that at your price point I would look into the Linden and Hilltop neighborhoods in Columbus. In addition, there are other markets in Ohio that cashflow and have a lower entry point such as Toledo and Dayton.

User Stats

Votes
River Sava#2 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
River Sava#2 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 20 2022, 10:22

Hi Barak-

Awesome that you are jumping into REI and have settled on a place to invest! I work for a private nationwide lender that does deals in Columbus frequently. Would love to talk to you more about how we can help you with this investment and build your portfolio!

User Stats

Votes
Sherri Stokes
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jul 20 2022, 11:23

@Moe Ibrahim is my go-to agent referral there in Columbus. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Jul 20 2022, 14:12

@Barak Yakobovich

Hi Barak, at your price point i'd look in south linden, north linden, hilltop, and the south-east areas of 43206.you may also look want to look up in Cleveland, if you're not dead set on Columbus! best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Moe Ibrahim
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 20 2022, 16:29
Quote from @Sherri Stokes:

@Moe Ibrahim is my go-to agent referral there in Columbus. Good luck!

Thank you Sherri!

User Stats

Votes
Barak Yakobovich
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Jul 22 2022, 06:48
Quote from @River Sava:

Hi Barak-

Awesome that you are jumping into REI and have settled on a place to invest! I work for a private nationwide lender that does deals in Columbus frequently. Would love to talk to you more about how we can help you with this investment and build your portfolio!

Thank you for reaching out, yes I would love to 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Barak Yakobovich
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Jul 22 2022, 06:59
Quote from @Matt Stewart:

@Barak Yakobovich  Columbus is a great place to invest and you'll find no shortage of Realtors ready to tell you that.  But just a little reality check for you.  Columbus is ultra competitive right now.  Wholesalers who are having steady success are spending a LOT of money each and every month on marketing.  They have teams of people working deals 7 days a week.  This isn't to discourage you, but know what you're up against.  You're going to have a lot of competition.

Next, it's not going to be easy to find deals in C neighborhoods for $120k.  Most of what you see at that price range is in Linden or Hilltop, and those are D class neighborhoods.  I'm broad brushing it a bit but those are also high crime areas that I have always avoided.  There are C class neighborhoods in 43232 and 43207, but it's going to be tough to find anything at the price range you indicated.  If you can bump your price range up to $150k you'll have more options in better areas.

Thank you for your honest answer, Matt. Could you tell me who are the top wholesalers in Columbus? If I were to increase my budget to 150-170, what zip codes/areas would you suggest I look at for buy-and-hold investments?

User Stats

Votes
Barak Yakobovich
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Jul 22 2022, 07:20
Quote from @Anthony L Amos Jr:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Barak

I agree with @Austin McClain that at your price point I would look into the Linden and Hilltop neighborhoods in Columbus. In addition, there are other markets in Ohio that cashflow and have a lower entry point such as Toledo and Dayton.

Thank you Anthony for your response, what zip codes would you suggest I look at in Dayton?

User Stats

Votes
Barak Yakobovich
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Jul 22 2022, 07:44
Quote from @Austin Steed:

Welcome to the Columbus market! I personally like following the big developments in town and riding the wave. We have 14 units under construction in town and still moving. Open to connecting and talking more.

Thank you Austin, I wish you the best of luck with your project, I would like to connect and talk.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 22 2022, 07:45
Quote from @Anthony L Amos Jr:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Barak

Thank you Anthony for your response, what zip codes would you suggest I look at in Dayton?

Look into areas around the University of Dayton such as 45469. Anymore recommendations @Austin McClain?

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 22 2022, 10:10

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Barak

Hi Barak, 

If you are coming from OOS I think it is important to start creating your https://www.biggerpockets.com/...core 4. I agree with what all has already been said. I am always happy to connect or talk. I would start to run numbers of houses you are seeing on the market. I like to use this calculator https://www.calculator.net/ren.... That way when you see a good deal then you will know it and act fast.  Too many buyers miss out because they get fearful and are unsure. If you can I would also drive around and get a feel for the area. My wife and I grab a coffee and just drive on most weekends. 

Our brokerage also puts on a networking event https://www.biggerpockets.com/... it just happened although there will be more to come. Try to go to as many networking events. You can also find some through OSU and Facebook. 

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 24 2022, 10:04

Thank you for your honest answer, Matt. Could you tell me who are the top wholesalers in Columbus? If I were to increase my budget to 150-170, what zip codes/areas would you suggest I look at for buy-and-hold investments?

I can send you some wholesaler referrals in Columbus, Ohio.
  • Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Barak Yakobovich
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Jul 24 2022, 12:21
Quote from @Remington Lyman:

I can send you some wholesaler referrals in Columbus, Ohio.

Yes, I would like to, it will be helpful for me

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 24 2022, 17:33

Newbie here, what about looking in the region outside of Columbus. Marion to the northwest looked like it had a decent inventory and might be closer to the price point you’re looking for!