First-Time Home Buyer

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Kariuki
Votes |
Adult Family Home Purchase (Elderly Care) / Agents & Brokers

Alvin Kariuki
Posted Aug 9 2022, 13:26

I’m a recent college graduate and I am trying to help my mother but her first home. She wants to open an Adult family home in the Seattle Metro area. We have been having trouble finding trustworthy Real Estate agents and loan brokers. With my limited knowledge on Real Estate, it has been tough analyzing deals and finding all available homes in the area. We prequalified for around $540,000 with our current broker. For anyone with experience in the field, how does one go about meeting government regulations and rehabbing a home without high vacancy costs? And more importantly, how would I locate the best deals available for what we are looking for?

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Aug 9 2022, 14:02

Check BP podcast or the real estate guys podcast. They’ve both had the same expert on their shows that specialize in assisted living investing. Either as a landlord, an operator, or both. 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 9 2022, 15:08

@Alvin Kariuki 1) in order to use a " normal loan " - the proeprty will need to be reg home ...if the proeprty is alreaady operating as a AFH - the loan used will likely need to be a commercial type loan .....2) if you can buy a SFR and then convert it out of pocket - this might be an option ...3) you might consider contacting Jospeh Spadas firm - as he is a great resource for AFH https://josephspada.com/

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Aug 9 2022, 15:59

Wanted to add RPOA podcast current episode features another person that “specializes” in assisted living investing. 

User Stats

Votes
Sherief Elbassuoni
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 07:35

@Alvin Kariuki, for AFH, you may need to close on the house first, then make some updates like adding rails, ramps, showers instead of tubs,.....

You will also need to get a license or team up with an operator who runs the business on your behalf

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Replied Aug 10 2022, 15:14

@Alvin Kariuki I sold an Adult Family Home last year - let me know if you'd like me to get you in touch with that investor to talk about permitting, requirements, and their experience as a new operator. Just shoot me a DM and I can make the connection. Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Ping Ji
Votes |

That's very kind and thoughtful of you to help your family. I would put together a business plan that includes revenue, expense, timeline, budget, requirements, etc. together and then start mapping out resources needed.