Votes
Jordan Robertson
  • Denver
Votes |
How to prepare? (Florida Panhandle)

Jordan Robertson
  • Denver
Posted Oct 3 2022, 11:57

Panhandle investors! I grew up vacationing in this area yearly and love it. Hard to beat the beaches, and of course, who doesn't love The Back Porch in Destin and the Wharf in Orange Beach? Been seeing a good bit of investment opportunity from PCB to Gulf Shores. My goal is to live and flip a property and decide on an LTR or STR after some minor cosmetic work has been done, and I've completed my homeowner obligations for an FHA/ Low Money loan. My main priority now is saving around $20k, and I will be shopping within the $300's-low $400's. I would love any input or general stories about investing in this area! Like is that a reasonable budget? Are there any strategies that have been working well here? ETC. Thanks, y'all!

User Stats

Votes
Marshall Leipprandt
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar Beach FL and Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar Beach FL and Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 11 2022, 15:13

@Jordan Robertson Hey Jordan, I think that there are certainly some opportunities in the Panhandle. I am a realtor in the area and also own and self-manage 2 STR homes in Miramar Beach. I really like the FL panhandle as a whole and think that it will continue to grow steadily over the years.

I like your strategy of building up some capital and using it for a low money down, owner occupied loan product. In my opinion, this is overall one of the best ways to get started. You can definitely get into a small home or a decent condo at that $300K-$400K price point. The biggest issue with your budget will be some of the things that you really can't control like the cost of homeowner insurance / flood insurance across FL in general, possible HOA fees in a condo building, PMI (if applicable), etc.

I am planning to do an owner-occupied investment here in the next few years as well so I think that it is a strategy worth pursuing for sure.

Feel free to email or DM me if you have questions about any areas or want any other insights. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Oct 11 2022, 18:54
Quote from @Jordan Robertson:

Panhandle investors! I grew up vacationing in this area yearly and love it. Hard to beat the beaches, and of course, who doesn't love The Back Porch in Destin and the Wharf in Orange Beach? Been seeing a good bit of investment opportunity from PCB to Gulf Shores. My goal is to live and flip a property and decide on an LTR or STR after some minor cosmetic work has been done, and I've completed my homeowner obligations for an FHA/ Low Money loan. My main priority now is saving around $20k, and I will be shopping within the $300's-low $400's. I would love any input or general stories about investing in this area! Like is that a reasonable budget? Are there any strategies that have been working well here? ETC. Thanks, y'all!

Navarre, Fort Walton beach, Niceville and Panama City beach has a strong long term rental market. If you can find something that needs comestic repairs you can move out the next year and rent it out by the month if fully furnished to earn 15-20% more than your standard rental. Regardless you would have a good equity positions and close to the 1% rule if rehabbed. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt "Roar" Gardner
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Oct 19 2022, 08:49

Jordan - Marshall and Ricardo make some great points! I'd also consider partnering with your first deal to accelerate that timeline even faster.  If you find a killer deal, don't let your lack of capital be a hurdle for you.  The hardest part of this industry is finding the solid deals, the money is the easy part.  Consider changing that focus from saving money to finding the opportunity! (all while saving up cash, lol)
eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Albert Sousa
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Replied Oct 19 2022, 13:05

Jordan, I am a RE investor and FL Mortgage Broker. Buying a property as an owner-occupied property is the best way to save on down payment costs and take advantage of lower interest rates. My wife and I used that strategy for our first primary residence that is now a long-term rental. Some condos are going to be tougher to get into with a low down payment than others based on how their HOA is structured and how owners use their condos(investments, owner-occupied, etc.) Depending on your personal finances, 3% down conventional financing may be available and cheaper money for you than FHA financing. Would be happy to chat with you further if you're interested. Happy hunting!

P.S Having 20k saved will be position you strongly, however you can get into homes for less dollars out of pocket if you'd like to move faster.

User Stats

Votes
Nikita Odnoralov
  • Investor
  • Castle Pines CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Castle Pines CO
Replied Oct 21 2022, 12:56

Hey Jordan. I bought a fixer upper 3 min walk from the water in Panama City Beach this year in March. It's on track to gross me over $70,000 this year and I started in March...I love the area. My place is 1,200 sq ft, has a backyard and is a 2 bed 2.5 bath townhome. I am an investor and also an agent in FL though I meander between CO and FL. I would love to help if you need to talk shop or ideas or whatever. I have learned so much. My place is a townhome on the east side, no HOA, and needed minor cosmetic repairs. I paid $333K and right now I'm seeing similar units dipping under $300k. So this winter will be a great time to jump in. I plan to buy another one or two in the PCB area myself this winter.

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied May 22 2023, 09:22

Your money will go farthest in PCB, hands down.  You can get condos starting in the mid $200Ks, but they will require 25% down.  I can get you townhomes and SFRs (hello 10% down second/vacation home loan!) that are walkable to the beach staring in the mid-$300Ks and mid-$500Ks, respectively, and I know all of the STRable areas from PCB to Navarre Beach.  

Let me know if you have additional questions.  Happy to jump on a call with you.  My calendar link is in my signature line below.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Moore
  • Real Estate Agent
  • PCB/30A Florida and St. Thomas USVI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • PCB/30A Florida and St. Thomas USVI
Replied May 24 2023, 06:28
Your plan is solid. I went broke in 2008 when the real estate market crashed. I moved to PCB in 2011 and scratched together enough money to buy a small house close to the beach. Then I scratched together enough money to buy a duplex. The rent from one side of that duplex paid the mortgage of the duplex and the other side paid the mortgage on my small house. Then I was able to save money faster and bought one house every year. Now I own 6 houses in PCB and one in Puerto Rico. I'm also a realtor in PCB. This town has been very good to me. I'm happy to help if you need a Realtor in PCB. In case you don't work with me I'll also give you the secret to not going broke like I did in 2008. I was buying houses with no money down loans so I had no equity. When the prices dipped I couldn't sell them, and I had no cash reserves to hold on when properties sat empty. So get the first one or two with small down payments to get started but then work on putting at least 20% down after number 2. And ALWAYS have at least 6 months of reserves to cover all your mortgages and expenses.