User Stats

Votes
Sam Robbins
Votes |
Suggestions for help with flooring for rental

Sam Robbins
Posted Dec 3 2022, 18:12

Hi!

I recently purchased my first property in Nashville - living in it for now, fixing it up to rent - it needs some work, starting with the flooring in the first floor. I’m going to be ripping out the carpet and tile and replacing it with vinyl plank. This is the living room, kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. I was planning on DIY-ing it, but I’m thinking it might be a little too much to take on myself. Home Depot and Lowe’s are quoting me $2500+ for just the labor to have people come in and do it. Any contractor suggestions that would come in and do it with me? I want to learn how to do flooring and I’ll certainly pay someone, but $2500+ just seems excessive. It’s about 500 sq feet. Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Dec 4 2022, 06:42

Your cost is almost entirely in the tear out-removing tile is very expensive. The flooring itself is not expensive and if you are getting quotes from Lowes/HD often times they have a flat fee or even completely free if you buy from them. 

If you want to reach out I'll send you my flooring guy. 

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 4 2022, 10:05

Get a handyman to install for $1.5 a square foot. Rookies use home depot for labor 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Dec 4 2022, 11:40
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Get a handyman to install for $1.5 a square foot. Rookies use home depot for labor 

Yep. NEVER use HD for labor. They have to mark up the price form their subcontractor to make their cut, so you're paying twice. And they are not known for good quality or customer service, at least in my experiences...

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 5 2022, 15:45

@Sam Robbins

If you want to save some money, you can also do the tear out yourself.  Carpet is super simple to tear out.  Tile can be difficult depending on what you're using.  You can rent a machine from Home Depot and rip it up that way, going to be most efficient.  Or the old fashioned way to take a crow bar and hammer and just hammer it up.  It can be a bit labor intensive, but if it's a small space, I'm sure you could do it in a weekend.  Good news is, its really not something you can mess up.

Once that is done, I'd go the handyman route and pay someone by the hour to install it.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Sam Robbins
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2022, 15:51

Didn’t go with Home Depot and went with Luka’s recommendation - he came in the next day and got it all done in one go. Saved me 2K. Thanks Luka and BP! Woo!!!

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Phillips
  • Realtor
  • Lebanon Tennessee
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lebanon Tennessee
Replied Dec 9 2022, 19:30
Looks really good!